• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Scunthorpe memories

JSB

Dec 3, 2017
Hello all. Scunthorpe fan here. I have quite recently moved to Northwich and I am wondering if any of you lot have any memories of the times we've played each other in the cup? If memory serves me correctly we have played each other three times (in 1982, 1995 and 2002), all in the FA Cup, and every one at Northwich. I believe we won each time we met.

When I moved, my uncle, who has followed Scunthorpe home and away for 40 years or more, spoke of the meetings we've had in the years. He recalls in one meeting, probably the 1982 or 1995 one, Scunthorpe and Northwich fans throwing bricks at each other; he was somewhat surprised that a non-league club could have as many trouble makers. Though, of course it could have been hooligans from bigger clubs turning up because they knew we would have had our loons out. If this incident was 1995 it could well have been Chester fans engaging in the trouble given how we probably had a bit of a bad reputation with them after we got promoted after beating them 2-1 away in 1983 where Scunny fans ran amok, causing the game to be delayed by 30 minutes after scoring the winning goal and charging at the Chester fans.

Thankfully times are a bit different now. My only memory of Northwich-Scunny is of the 2002 game (I wasn't alive for 1982 and I was far too young for 1995) and remember our carthorse, Steve Torpey, scoring a hattrick and even scored with an overhead kick.

All the best. Hopefully you can continue your rise and draw us again in the FA Cup in the near future. :)

I'm old enough to remember 1982, it was played at the Old Show Ground, Scunny won 2-1 and we had City legend and local resident Alan Oakes playing for us. I remember being amazed at the number of fans that had travelled that day, around 8/900. Oh and it was cold and misty. I don't remember any bricks, I would have probably headed them back :wacky

Before anyone says anything about my age, I was only a kid!!! :D

Don't remember the 82 game but wasn't the 95 one at Wincham Park?
Seem to remember Vics battered them but couldn't score.

I was at an Outward Bound School for a month with a fan about 50 years ago. We never kept in touch but we were only 12 and no social media. Letters or landline phone back then.

You're right, Vicki, my bad. The game my uncle was referring to must have been the 1995 game, unless he's mixing it up with a game at another non-league club. There is a picture on social media of our 'firm' at The Cock O' Witton before one of our games, so who knows?

One of our fans recalls the 1995 tie here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Shame that we're unlikely to face each other again any time soon (we've played each other a fair few times in the cup for sides who've never been in the same division). I might have to make the trip down to Winsford to watch 1874 Northwich play one day.

Back