• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Rylands 18-4-22

Thought that the level of support they brought was pitiful. 50 - 60 tops I reckon.

Compare that to our support at Kendal which must have been half of the crowd. And Kendal is much further than Barnton is from Warrington!

IMHO they are another club who are being bankrolled in an unsustainable manner. They may make National League North, but even if they do then the expenses will really begin to rack up.

In addition, as is the case for Warrington Town, Rugby League is king in the town and both will therefore always struggle to attract the sort of attendances that would be needed to come anywhere near the cost of operating in, say, the National League.

As someone said on Monday, their rise up the pyramid has been extremely rapid, but their descent could be very similar if the money man gets bored or his largesse ends….

Thought that the level of support they brought was pitiful. 50 - 60 tops I reckon.

Compare that to our support at Kendal which must have been half of the crowd. And Kendal is much further than Barnton is from Warrington!

IMHO they are another club who are being bankrolled in an unsustainable manner. They may make National League North, but even if they do then the expenses will really begin to rack up.

In addition, as is the case for Warrington Town, Rugby League is king in the town and both will therefore always struggle to attract the sort of attendances that would be needed to come anywhere near the cost of operating in, say, the National League.

As someone said on Monday, their rise up the pyramid has been extremely rapid, but their descent could be very similar if the money man gets bored or his largesse ends….
James, my only complaint about your message is the half of the crowd at Kendal. Apart from the youngsters i would have said it was nearer 3/4!

It must be very difficult for any club to turn away a financial benefactor. Vics are a very sad example. I wonder how we would react if someone with money wanted to help us out financially?

It must be very difficult for any club to turn away a financial benefactor. Vics are a very sad example. I wonder how we would react if someone with money wanted to help us out financially?
The German model of 50+1 might be the answer to that?
The Trust would hold 51% & investor the remaining 49%

The German model of 50+1 might be the answer to that?
The Trust would hold 51% & investor the remaining 49%
Any investor would need to meet both Board and member approval of course. Hopefully any fit and proper assessment would be a little more rigorous than the FL and FA chaps/chapesses efforts in the past ?

All hypothetical of course. Any investor would initially buying into an ethos as opposed to tangible assets at the moment.

I remember Paul Stockton telling me of a phone call he received from "a mystery Manchester businessman" wanting to bankroll our club with unlimited funds, Paul was delighted by his generosity and explained to him that despite his generosity he was still only entitled to one vote at the AGM, the phone went dead. "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts"

I remember Paul Stockton telling me of a phone call he received from "a mystery Manchester businessman" wanting to bankroll our club with unlimited funds, Paul was delighted by his generosity and explained to him that despite his generosity he was still only entitled to one vote at the AGM, the phone went dead. "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts"
Would that be the same Manchester business man, often to be seen in various aircraft at our home matches, checking that we are accurate[y recording attendances at our matches ?

My suspicion would be that it was another "dodgy businessman" being used as a front for someone else with excess cash to invest in a little non-league Cheshire based club and whose love of non-league football knows no bounds, hence his largess. There are a lot around apparently!

Back