• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Mid-Cheshire Sporting Glories

virgil caine

Legend
Jan 31, 2017
Moderator's Note: The first 12 (?) posts have been extracted from another thread so may seem a bit disjointed, but it seemed a good idea to split off this whole idea of creating some sort of exhibition of local sporting history. Apologies for making this thread and the other one a bit awkward to follow for a while.
It all started from people reflecting on the CSC ...

on reflection if this famous old cup did end up in northwich library Cheshire West Council would snatch it back and it would end up in the Grosvenor Museum or being flogged off by them.The old Salt Museum in London Road is now the Northwich Town Museum and it would be nice to create a collection of football items of all local clubs in a room in this museum. I am sure we all have items we could donate or loan.However the ownership of the cup can only be decided by the Legal Eagles.

Last edited by a moderator:
the old salt museum in London road has now mainly located to the lion salt works in Wincham to concentrate on the salt industry.A local historian tells me the plan is to create a Northwich Town Museum in the current salt museum to cover local history.Lets hope they include a sports section room

Think the idea of a local sporting history section in the museum should be given some traction ... maybe a groundswell of opinion will be enough to make it happen?

I think Alan's is the best idea to date - for the museum. I am not sure that Weaver hall (or whatever it is now called) would take it but if not what about the National Football Museum up in Manchester??

Already spoke to Northwich Library, they don't have the facilities to accommodate the CSC.
Taking on Alan's idea of Weaver Hall Museum, I spoke to them this afternoon and they are very interested in setting up an exhibition for ALL SPORT in Northwich.

As the idea was formed on here between 1874 and Witton fans maybe the exhibition could be sponsored by both clubs.

Last edited:
Already spoke to Northwich Library, they don't have the facilities to accommodate the CSC.
Taking on Alan's idea of Weaver Hall Museum, I spoke to them this afternoon and they are very interested in setting up an exhibition for ALL SPORT in Northwich.

As the idea was formed on here between 1874 and Witton fans maybe the exhibition could be sponsored by both clubs.

In what way "sponsored"?

Maybe this is a case for a working group to be set up across the great divide. Given the general laments about the lack of local interest in NL this could be a good opportunity for both clubs.

We could sell tickets for the inaugural face-to-face meeting if Toddy and WHS were both involved. ;)

More seriously, it would be good to get the great and the good from other sections of mid-Cheshire sport involved in digging out some stuff to contribute.

Should all these posts on this idea be split off into a separate thread away from JGFC? Maybe in the Community section?

Really like the idea of an exhibition for all local sport at Weaver Hall museum. Thanks to Tony for making the enquiries :cool:

I think Alan's is the best idea to date - for the museum. I am not sure that Weaver hall (or whatever it is now called) would take it but if not what about the National Football Museum up in Manchester??

Think Weaver Hall are quite keen. This is probably not something suited to the National Football Museum (a) because it is particularly local to Northwich (b) because the idea would be to widen it out beyond just the one trophy and include a whole range of sports (c) because one of the aims must surely be to promote local sports locally and generate more interest locally in local football (even if that means that a few less discerning folk end up wandering up to Wincham ;) )

Message from museum:

We really like the idea and we do have some sports related items in our museum collection.

Difficult to do much from down here though!

my posting and idea was for a dedicated permanent room in the London Road museum.based on all local football. the museum do hold temporary exhibitions that usually last a short time.we need to explain a permanent exhibit will create a lot of interest for them, If it does get off the ground people who donate items must realize they loose ownership and as the museum belongs to Cheshire West Council they could at a future date move exibits anywhere.or you can lend items on permanent loan where you or your family retain ownership and you can retrieve the items if you give notice.If this does get off the ground I am sure it will be a great success for present and future inhabitants and visitors to northwich and would hopefully remain a long term attraction

Toddy! Do you still have that framed Billy Meredith Football Card Collection that I salvaged from the VS? If so that's one item that we could donate!

Tony all the items given to me by various people are still in my possession,also I have a lot more and I would be only please for them to be in the museum,under the conditions virgil caine suggested.The one thing I have to point out is it will take a lot of work setting it up,so volunteers will be required to see the project through.

not sure who runs the museum their used to be a full time curator who was made redundant by Ches West Council.i have a feeling it is staffed by local volunteers?.However the council does employ full time museum officers and archivists based at chester who I am sure would have the skills and time involved in setting this up.I think the way forward if we can get some local councillers involved in putting the idea forward in chester. Even though he is a rugby man Cll Sam Naylor may be a supporter for this idea ?

not sure who runs the museum their used to be a full time curator who was made redundant by Ches West Council.i have a feeling it is staffed by local volunteers?.However the council does employ full time museum officers and archivists based at chester who I am sure would have the skills and time involved in setting this up.I think the way forward if we can get some local councillers involved in putting the idea forward in chester. Even though he is a rugby man Cll Sam Naylor may be a supporter for this idea ?
Been in touch with Sammy, he's very interested, thinks it's a great idea for all sport in Northwich.

Just needs dedicated volunteers, representatives from each sports club to take it forward, ratherthan us all making our own enquiries.

Think Alan is interested in a role but I'm taking a step back but will volunteer for manual work.

Last edited:
I may be interested, Tony, but as already pointed out I am not exactly local.

But I am this weekend. I'm calling in on Saturday afternoon to have a quick chat with someone at the Weaver Hall museum (not on spec, it's all been arranged). Maybe we'll know more after that.

Back