• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Mick Hulligan in the Daily Telegraph today

danebanker

Legend
Dec 29, 2013
I was amazed to see a reference to Mick Hulligan in today's paper. The journalist was making a serious case that player managers don't work these days as there is too much work to do. And also that recently ex-players do not realise that they can't do the job any more.

To give an example of the latter he quoted Roy Sproson of Port Vale who was talking about Ivor Powell ,a long time manager of the Vale; Quote " Ivor had been a tremendous player and I remember him trying to coach our winger Mick Hulligan . Mick's free kicks had not been too clever so Ivor said ,right let me show you. He put the ball down outside the area, took a run up and blasted the ball out of the ground and off down Hamil Road. Ivor's face went red but quick as a flash he turned to Mick and said -now you see, that's what you've been doing."
Anyone else remember Mick at the Vics ? If in doubt, he played 48 times on the left wing in the 1956/57 season when the Cheshire League was won. Great player in a great team.

The team photo in ATFAS shows him sporting a very 21st century haircut. Bet he never thought he'd make the papers in 2019!

I remember Mick coming to Vics from Port Vale with Len Barber the legionary goal scorer at the start of the 1955-56 season,Len scored 60 goals 19556-57 season he scored a total of 150 goals in 127 games for Vics.Also in the 1955-56 the was a player who was a member of Blackpool's cup-winning"Matthews" final in 1953 Cyril Robinson.My one memory of Mick was he had false teeth and took them out when he played and his smile was something to be seen.

Right toddy -I said to my wife that my best memory of Mick when I was pitchside was him haring past with no teeth ! I was 9 or 10 at the time but it remains clear in my mind

Back