• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Lane

Toddy, Did Brian Dowd later become the Chairman of Barnton?
I notice a G Duffy in the team, was this Gerry Duffy from Moulton , later Crewe , ending at Winsford?

Timberman I don't know about the Barnton connection,and I'm not sure if Gerry came from Moulton or Middlewich,but I do know he played for Oldham Athletic.
Getting back to the Senior and Amateur cup question I attended the three games with my dad and can still parts of the games.
There is another interesting fact from the two winning finals,what is it?.

Timberman - I think you're correct about Brian - he later became President of the Mid-Cheshire League.
GE

We’ve just cleared out the garage too, and like most of you, we have stacks of stuff. My parents were heavily involved in the 70s and produced the programme and I think they sat on the board for a while. I have a vague memory of half-time cucumber sandwiches under the stand. My Dad was also ‘club photographer’ for many years and I’ve got thousands of photos and signed stuff, including the Watford game with all the players and Elton John on posters. For the 80s Wembley visits, my Dad had behind the scenes access to the changing rooms, the team hotel and team bus, lots from the Memorial Hall afterwards etc.
I think I starting coming along to matches around 1986/87 regularly. I’ve got a vague memory of Dave Ryan picking the ball out of the net at Canal Street (typical) from one of my first matches, and Austin Salmon (?) getting a serious injury.
I think this was early on in Cliff Robert’s reign. Looking back I always think he was quite unfairly viewed, maybe because of the success that went before? When you think about the players he brought to the club, he definitely had an eye for talent - Neil Morton, Mal O’Connor, Ian Nolan, Steve McNellis (?) and my personal favourite - Derrick Parker...what a finisher he was. I’m sure he and Mally scored about 60 between them around 1988?
Anyway - that turned into a lockdown ramble!

The interesting fact from the two final wins was Peter Burns score a hat-trick in the Senior Final and Jerry Duffy scored a hat-trick in the Amateur one.

I remember going to Peter Burns benefit match in 1959, I think it was a combined Vics-Witton team against a Liverpool side. 4-4 draw.

Back