• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Lane

danebanker

Legend
Dec 29, 2013
As part of my efforts to pass the time during lockdown I went under the eaves to retrieve old photo albums. One is on football, of course from my days with Vics. But it was fun to recall.
I found I had photos from Chesterfield in the FA Cup, Leyton Orient likewise , Hull in 2001, at Dagenham and Redbridge and then at Stevenage 2001, at Boston 2002, the Last Game at the Drill field with Val Owen as MOM and one I took of Paul Bennett, Phil Reid and Dave Ryan, at Margate in 2003 the famous 4-4 draw, at Yeovil in 2003 in the FA Trophy, April 2005 the last game I saw at Wincham Park with a shot of Matt Bailey captioned "off to Crewe", at Canvey Island 2005, first visit to the Victoria Stadium 2005 v Leigh RMI, Champions 2006 ( a lot of these) ,Stafford 2007 when the match was abandoned, with a group of fans that included Charnock's Dad plus Paul of course, Last match presentations including Steve Burr and Pete Wilson giving Michael Carr his Player of the Year award, In the directors box at Weymouth 2007, FA Cup at Oxford 2007, Cambridge 2008 - saved from relegation, Paul giving awards to Jonny Allen, Lee Steele Player of the Season plus Dino Maamria, End of season awards 2009 - Paul with Andy Preece and Jonny again, at Oxford 2009 with a 2-1 win when we had to avoid troublesome Oxford fans, Ilkeston away, Charlton in the FA Cup and finally April 21 2012 at Bury with the red card protest.

I had no idea I had taken so many but it passed a happy hour.

The last one was March last year when I took part in the Meet the Managers day - a lot more 1874 photos to come I trust.

I too have been going through my collection of items from local football from the past.I have found some very interesting things.one is a season ticket for the1939-40 season for Northwich Victoria priced 10s-6d,it has a list of the fixtures for that season,it belonged to my great uncle.Another interesting fact is the registered colours were Red Shirts,White Knickers with Red Bands.I have other items which I will tell you about at a later date including a very interesting medal won by a player who played for the original Northwich Victoria who operated from 1874 to 1890 when it was made defunct.The Northwich Victoria of today is an amalgamation of two clubs who took the name of Northwich Victoria and is not the one of1874 to 1890.

Did you see the letter to the Telegraph today where a reader was recommending that children at home are taught geography by using non-league football grounds ? It was accompanied by a photo of the wall that read" Drill Field"Scan_20200423 (3).jpg, captioned the home of Northwich victoria from 1875-2002

I have got Kenny Jones shirt from the last home game from the last home game before a FA Trophy Final.Anyone know which game and what final.

I have an excellent photograph of the above with the name of every contributor clearly recognisable and given that I have “time on my hands” I may do a list of names and post on here ( unless Toddy beats me to it! )

I have a pennant of the team that played Sunderland. Cant read most of them, ditto a plastic football signed by the team. Maybe we need a ank of signatures,
i also got birthday cards from the team that played on my 60th birthday in 2006 .They had similar handwriting -could be Arnold Schwarzenegger in some cases.

Right then here goes (with apologies for any spelling mistakes!)

Starting at top left:

DELIA & KEN BAILEY - DARREN BARROW - LESLIE A BELLINGTON - CASTLE CARS - GARRY CLARKE - CHESHIRE COUNTY FA - JOHN COATS - DAVID GLEAVE -NEIL GLEAVE and JOHN HARROP

2ND LINE - DAVE JEFFS - FRANK KIRKHAM - BLANK - CYRIL LEATHER - VICKI & ANDREW - BLANK - BLANK- BLANK - LESLIE CLARK and PAUL MADDOCK

3RD LINE - ARTHUR PENNEY - CLIVE PENNEY - BLANK - LEN PHILIPS -JACK SPENCER - KEVIN SPENCER - BLANK - DANEBANK 1997 - IAN GLEAVE and JOHN STITCH

4TH LINE - SYP - BLANK - BLANK - BLANK - JOHN GLEAVE - THREE BLANKS - MID CHESHIRE FA and BRIAN WILSON

5TH LINE - GEORGE WILSON - FIVE BLANKS - DAVID MILLINGTON - C.E.O BRIEN and MADGE WILSON

6TH LINE -PETER WILSON - THREE BLANKS -ANTHONY WOOD - THREE BLANKS - HARRY PEMBERTON & MIKE YARWOOD

7TH LINE - EDITH BUCKLEY - MARY & LISA CLAGUE - PATRICK COOK - TOM COOK - PAUL & ROBRT GLEAVE - FRANK GOODWIN - BERT KNIGHT - BARRY LEYLAND - ARTHUR LITTLER - and BERNARD LITTLER

8TH LINE - MARY NIELD - ELIZABETH & JOHN PREECE - DON ROSS - IAN SMITH - DAVE THOMAS - CARL TURNER - JOSEPH WAKEFIELD - TERRY & DIANE WARD -ALAN WEBB & KAREN WOOD

9TH LINE - A W BOWYER - WAYNE PORTER -BLANK - HARVEY BURROWS - D BUSH - TWO BLANKS - MT & WT BUTLER - BLANK - G COOKSON

10TH LINE - CYRIL DAWES MBE - BLANK - D.EDGELEY - JOAN EDWARDS - GORDON EMERY - DAVE PRICE - THE GRIMES FAMILY - BLANK - MIKE ISHERWOOD

11TH LINE -PHIL ISHERWOOD - THREE BLANKS - ANDY & GARETH ???? - THREE BLANKS - REG ISHERWOOD

12TH LINE - W J KING - THREE BLANKS - ROD STICH - TWO BLANKS -FAITHFUL LEICESTER

13TH LINE - MOLLY & MARTIN McHUGH - ALL BLANKS UNTIL THE END OF THIS ROW WHEN THE LAST NAME IS - GREG MOLYNEUX

14TH & BOTTOM LINE - NORTHWICH GUARDIAN - D R NUTTALL - J RAFFERTY - GEOFFREY ROBERTS -W.H & G.W.ROBINSON -

D.H.STONE MARK SULLIVAN - GEORGE,ROBERT & CALUM WATKINS - PETER & SIMON WEINBURGER - IAN WOOD

I will now partake of a large LATTETO WIND DOWN!!

'

Scan_20200427.jpg
I rooted out the pennant - I was wrong about Sunderland.But I wonder which team it was. I can make out Paul Reid, Kenny Jones, Jeff Forshaw, Colin Williams. Any other elderly fans able to help with other names and maybe why it was done ?

Dave Ryan, Keith Braithwaite, Jimmy Connors, John Anderson, Brian Hall ...
Places it for me in the 80-81 season, which wasn't particularly special

... but less of the elderly!!

I actually played against Brian Hall at university - he for Maths me for Metallurgy. Can you guess guess who won or for extra points ,guess the score.
But no hard feelings- we were a man short on our five a side team so he joined us for one game -we won 2-0 and he scored both goals.

I havent been called elderly before either - not sure I like it but it is official government policy

Smuggled my camera and telephoto lens into Wembley when Vics played in Trophy final v Telford. Got a shot of Paul Bennet scoring with an overhead kick but he`s hidden behind other players and it`s a bit blurred. Hope it`s not upsetting for 74 fans to see this on the web site,PD0004 (2).jpgPD0012.jpg

1874 and its fans are the true legacy of the original NVFC so we are not upset at all. Great times!

We lost 16-0 and their centre forward scored 9 headed goals. We were deflated and asked about the little chap on the wing who could land the ball on the scorer's head time after time. We felt a little better when we learned he played for Liverpool reserves.! Never thought he would one day turn out for Vics and was sad when he died so young.

What did this NVFC team win in 1955?

D Rochford, B Dowd, A Ellis, R Buckley, W Swinney, E Raynor, J Shannon, PHewitson, G Duffy, R Darlington, R Orwin. Manager - Ron Carey

What accolade, in the same season, did B Dowd achieve?

GE

Brian Dowd won a Cheshire Senior Cup and Cheshire Amateur Cup medal in the 1954-55 season.he played for Vics first team at Crew in the Senior cup final at Crew in the replay win against Stalybridge Celtic in a 3-0 win(Peter Burns scored a hat-trick) on 13-5-1955.He then played for the reserves against Mirrlees at Witton on 13-5-1955 in the Amateur final winning 5-2,the gate for that game was 4,200 the gate for the Crewe game was 3,047,the gate the first game in the Senior final was 7,449.The team you named GE was the one that won the Amateur Cup

Back