• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner Two

This might be a bit obscure.
What was Galley a nickname for.

I thought this might get you,here's a clue we used to play with them.

Sorry not the one Timberman,maybe I should have put Gas Mantel.

A Gas Mantel was the part of a Gas Light that you lit in the light,I'm not sure what it was made of but when it was once lit it was very fragile.
What was(is)a Milk Churn?.

Toddy, if you want to know more about gas mantles Wiki has them here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_mantle
We used to use them in site cabins and what pain they were. When you first used them they were flexible but once you used them once they were brittle and if you touched them (when not lit that is) they just crumbled away, so you the had to find a new one.
And I have no idea what a milk chum was - unless of course that was a local term for what we called a milk monitor! On the other hand if the question was milk churn then it was the big metal containers milk used to be collected in. You can still see platforms in the countryside where farmers used to leave them to be collected by the milk lorries and when we were young they wpuld often be waiting on stations to be picked up by the goods trains.

Richard I did say Churn not Chum,but you are correct.
What was a Winklepicker?

You would need more than winklepickers to kick the old footballs Graham, although not as bad as the leather ones that Toddy used to play with when you headed the lace.

The old leather ball was like catching a ball of soap when they put Dubbin on it in wet weather.
What was a Corky?.

Back