• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner Two

toddyb

Too much time on my hands
Dec 23, 2014
Which local team played in front of over 14000 spectators in a match in the Cheshire League against a reserve football league side,and what was the reason for the large gate?.

The answer is Winsford United and it was at Wrexham Res.Does anyone know the reason for the big gate?.

The reason was their first team had drawn Man United in the F.A. Cup and the only way the fans could get a ticket was by attending the home reserve match against Winsford and buying them inside the ground.I think they were allowed a limited number of tickets,so some fans left the ground and came back on.

Just a little Quiz,in the past there were Jobs,items,tools with names we don't use to-day,I will put some on see if you can guess them.Here is the an easy one to start.What was a Lamplighter?

Wasn't that the person who lit the old gas street lights?

correct Edge.Here is another.What or who was a Patter.

Long shot, but I can recall in Sainsbury’s and other food shops (pre supermarkets), butter was not pre-packed. Instead, the shop assistant would ‘cut’ an approximate chunk off a large block of butter, weigh it and then ‘pat’ it to the correct shape, before placing it in grease proof paper, handing it to the customer, and taking the money. If so, was the Patter the person on the butter counter ?

Very good Richard,the Patter was what they used.He is another. What was and still is a Linesman?.

I'm pretty sure it's a train related role but no idea what though.

Richard and Edge it is to do with electricity overhead cables but not just on railways,it's the person who works on them.
What is or was Wheeltapper?

Train stopped at a station and he went along tapping the wheels to make sure they were fine and not cracked.

I believe it is a forerunner of the current automated washing machine, whereby you filled it up with hot water and manually washed / scrubbed your dirty washing.

Didn’t you rub the clothes on the washboard, later used in skiffle groups, them put them through the mangle?

Back