• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Maradonna dead at 60

An amazing, world class footballer. He could create magic with the ball. But for many of us, of course our first thought is 'the Hand of God'. And then later, the way he lived his life off the field. What a circus.

Controversial question (maybe), but definitely a controversial character. Personally never forgave him for the blatant cheating for handballing the goal in 1986, Definitely an amazing player when he wanted to be, but his personal life was a disaster - mixed up with the mafia, drugs and unseemly behaviour. Jury is out for me, perhaps would feel differently if I was an Argentinian or Napoli supporter

Controversial question (maybe), but definitely a controversial character. Personally never forgave him for the blatant cheating for handballing the goal in 1986, Definitely an amazing player when he wanted to be, but his personal life was a disaster - mixed up with the mafia, drugs and unseemly behaviour. Jury is out for me, perhaps would feel differently if I was an Argentinian or Napoli supporter
Or a Scotland ??????? supporter! Reckon that there will be a big queue of departed TA members offering to buy the wee fella a dram in the Heavenly Arms today....??

No question, he was probably the best footballer of my generation (just pipped Chappie to that title :rolleyes: ), he was worshipped by fans of every team he played for.... off the field, he certainly lived his life to the fullest!!

I also think that its worth putting that 86 game into context. 20 years previously Alf Ramsey dubbed the Argies animals after their encounter in the quarter finals that England won 1-0 with a Geoff Hurst goal and where Argentinians also had their captain Rattan sent off. I don't think the 2 teams met again until 1986, but what did happen in the intervening years was the Falklands war. The game in 1986 was now not "just" a game of football, but a matter of restoration of national pride for Argentina to be delivered at all costs and by whatever means. It was redemption for the Falklands defeat. So the delivery of a victory by Maradonna made him an instant national hero. No matter what he did after that, right or wrong, he was always forgiven and adored for delivering that blow to England. As for the handball - well all is fair in love and war and as far as the Argentinians were concerned, this was a war on a football pitch. The Falklands rerun but with a different result

I also think that its worth putting that 86 game into context. 20 years previously Alf Ramsey dubbed the Argies animals after their encounter in the quarter finals that England won 1-0 with a Geoff Hurst goal and where Argentinians also had their captain Rattan sent off. I don't think the 2 teams met again until 1986, but what did happen in the intervening years was the Falklands war. The game in 1986 was now not "just" a game of football, but a matter of restoration of national pride for Argentina to be delivered at all costs and by whatever means. It was redemption for the Falklands defeat. So the delivery of a victory by Maradonna made him an instant national hero. No matter what he did after that, right or wrong, he was always forgiven and adored for delivering that blow to England. As for the handball - well all is fair in love and war and as far as the Argentinians were concerned, this was a war on a football pitch. The Falklands rerun but with a different result
Knutsfordian - I can recall that England played a friendly over there in 1977 in which Trevor Cherry was sent off. Reason I remember it so well is that it was still in B&W and the quality of the picture was awful. The commentator was at pains to stress that the coverage for the forthcoming World Cup would be in colour!
After what happened to my beloved Scotland ???????, I’d rather that they had not bothered!??

Yep I think there were some attempts to bury the hatchet post 1966, but as far as the Argies were concerned the Malvinas war was a dent to national pride that Maradonna, to an extent anyway, redeemed

even Macron getting on the act ...............

One of Diego Maradona's most famous moments in football was the 'hand of god' goal he scored against England to knock them out of the 1968 World Cup.

Mr Macron said during part of his statement referencing Diego Maradona: "This resurrection took place in 1986, in the most geopolitical match in football history, a World Cup quarter-final against Margaret Thatcher's England.

"On June 22, 1986, in Mexico City, he scored his first goal with God as a teammate. The miracle is disputed, but the referee didn't see a thing: Maradona's sense of showmanship made him irrelevant."

Magnificent player , after George one of the best I’ve seen up there with Ronaldo and Messi. Car crash off the field but if he had been English he would have been admired if not adored by all . If he’d been Scottish James , chucked in the bin with Joe Baxter and the other p@@s pots from t’other side of the wall.

Back