• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Lockdowns

They did, but they also went down in Nations that used common sense rather than lockdowns.

The reality of lockdown for Covid is the medicine is more deadly than the disease. Even the WHO are advising against lockdowns.

SAGE did indeed want a full lockdown, and thank christ Rishi Sunak Opposed it. The only person in Westminister seemingly looking at the bigger picture.
41 people have died in North West hospitals after testing positive for Covid-19. Today's figure is a big increase on the 14 who died yesterday. It's nearly half the 87 people who died in England as a whole. They were aged 30 to 96. All but six had underlying health conditions.

This, I would suggest, is the bigger picture...

Tier 2 it is then, but it doesn't appear to stop football at our level - subject to CWAC.
Tier 3 also allows for football at our level and spectators to attend games. Ollie Bayliss confirmed that on Twitter.

They did, but they also went down in Nations that used common sense rather than lockdowns.

The reality of lockdown for Covid is the medicine is more deadly than the disease. Even the WHO are advising against lockdowns.

SAGE did indeed want a full lockdown, and thank christ Rishi Sunak Opposed it. The only person in Westminister seemingly looking at the bigger picture.
So it is clear now that despite what this cabal of liars said, they are most definitely “not following the science”.

So it is clear now that despite what this cabal of liars said, they are most definitely “not following the science”.

You’ve only just realised? They’ve been ignoring the science for months

You’ve only just realised? They’ve been ignoring the science for months

I completely agree with you Andy. They were too late in reacting in the first place and see how this ended. Do we really not want to learn from the mistakes that were made in February and March? If we don’t then the immediate impact on the health of many thousands will be at risk, as will be the longer term impact on the NHS, health in general and the economy.

I completely agree with you Andy. They were too late in reacting in the first place and see how this ended. Do we really not want to learn from the mistakes that were made in February and March? If we don’t then the immediate impact on the health of many thousands will be at risk, as will be the longer term impact on the NHS, health in general and the economy.

This situation now is nothing like March, though. Very slow growth compared to March, better treatment, better equipped, people know their own risks better than in March, and we know that the Virus is much less severe than was thought in March.

Despite all that I still think the Government over reacted in March. But with hindsight now we know there isn’t any conclusive proof that this approach works, but there is conclusive proof that there’s catastrophic collateral damage from it.

There is a also the problem that the government spent billions in the spring on supporting people and business through the furlough, along with the small fortunes on gearing up the NHS etc. That money is spent and cannot be spent again.

Kier Starmer wants a 2-3 week lockdown, but again I would say that there is no certainty this will work, how long it would be required for and how open ended the funding will need to be - and which we now cannot afford. There will also be a push back from vast areas of the country, outside of cities, that have low Covid cases as to why they should be forced into lockdown.

So torn between those who want no lockdown and those that do, the government is trying to find a middle ground that may end up with more deaths, but where we still have an economy. In the mean time people need to use common sense and isolate where they can.

Funny to see Starmer call for a full lockdown after last week criticising lockdowns.

Labours position on dealing with Covid is about as clear as their Brexit policy in the last election.

Only Party currently standing against the 10pm curfew yesterday was the Lib Dem’s. Shane’s there’s only half a dozen of them

This situation now is nothing like March, though. Very slow growth compared to March, better treatment, better equipped, people know their own risks better than in March, and we know that the Virus is much less severe than was thought in March.

Despite all that I still think the Government over reacted in March. But with hindsight now we know there isn’t any conclusive proof that this approach works, but there is conclusive proof that there’s catastrophic collateral damage from it.
Completely agree that they over-reacted in March - it should have been in February when we saw what was happening in Italy and Spain. Had they taken swift, decisive action then, then in all likelihood 000’s of lives could have been saved and the NHS not overwhelmed. The warning signs were there flashing at them - as Johnson said on Monday - they just chose to ignore them. And we reaped the consequences....

Northern Ireland will be going into a circuit breaker lockdown.
Starmer wants it, question is will Boris cave and stick to his three tiers system??

Northern Ireland will be going into a circuit breaker lockdown.
Starmer wants it, question is will Boris cave and stick to his three tiers system??
I think that you will find that it is a devolved power so it’s up to the NI Assembly to decide, not Boris the Clown

There is a also the problem that the government spent billions in the spring on supporting people and business through the furlough, along with the small fortunes on gearing up the NHS etc. That money is spent and cannot be spent again.

Kier Starmer wants a 2-3 week lockdown, but again I would say that there is no certainty this will work, how long it would be required for and how open ended the funding will need to be - and which we now cannot afford. There will also be a push back from vast areas of the country, outside of cities, that have low Covid cases as to why they should be forced into lockdown.

So torn between those who want no lockdown and those that do, the government is trying to find a middle ground that may end up with more deaths, but where we still have an economy. In the mean time people need to use common sense and isolate where they can.
But as one of the scientists on Newsnight last night said, if you go for middle diddle then you could end up achieving neither aim ?

Not sure if you've seen this

A handful of clubs have gone on the record as saying option 3, but no idea about the rest & 1874

I think that you will find that it is a devolved power so it’s up to the NI Assembly to decide, not Boris the Clown
I’m aware of that James but it will be interesting to see if Boris follows suit. He seemed to rule it out for the time being during PMQs today. Still reckon he’ll cave.

Not sure if you've seen this

A handful of clubs have gone on the record as saying option 3, but no idea about the rest & 1874
This is something I’d be against. We should be doing everything possible to play as many games as we can.
There’s nothing stopping clubs in areas of local restrictions (including tier 3) from playing and nor are fans banned from attending.

But as one of the scientists on Newsnight last night said, if you go for middle diddle then you could end up achieving neither aim ?

Yep that's yet another view - but ultimately the issue here is whatever course of action is chosen, we are not assured of success in fighting the virus. What we are certain of is the huge adverse cost and impact on the economy of going into a lock down.

If I was a Labour strategist I would have one eye on the financial outcome for this pandemic. After all is done, there will be no money left in the tin to pay for future programmes, so winning the next election may become the most hollow of hollow victories if they can't do anything in power to implement any of their strategies

Yep that's yet another view - but ultimately the issue here is whatever course of action is chosen, we are not assured of success in fighting the virus. What we are certain of is the huge adverse cost and impact on the economy of going into a lock down.

If I was a Labour strategist I would have one eye on the financial outcome for this pandemic. After all is done, there will be no money left in the tin to pay for future programmes, so winning the next election may become the most hollow of hollow victories if they can't do anything in power to implement any of their strategies
But they're still wasting £bns on the HS2.

Back