• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Lockdowns

Can't see any non leagues completing. I think WAFC have played about 7 league games so far. With all clubs in Tier3 going forwards and all that goes with that, there's no chance of the league being completed - and unless you complete half the games, how can points per game be fair?

There's also major issues for clubs about bringing players from furlough, paying wages on low gates and not able to sell refreshments. WAFC have cancelled their Xmas fixtures so no footy to well in the new year.

Gates restricted to 15% in tier 3 so a 150 max for us.

Thought Tier 3 was no sports fans at games?
This Staffordshire Police letter to that effect was posted by Hanley Town a week ago ...
1608749304799.png

I think the Staffs police are interpreting things differently to everyone else.
I could well be wrong though.

My understanding is it’s 150 gates max but local councils and police may make their own interpretation.

I’m with Knutsfordian though, I don’t reckon we’ll finish this season.

I see that Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are all entering lockdowns today.

Millions more in England are entering Tier 4 lockdown, meaning 40 per cent are now under these restrictions.

Can’t be long until everyone is.

I see that Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are all entering lockdowns today.

Millions more in England are entering Tier 4 lockdown, meaning 40 per cent are now under these restrictions.

Can’t be long until everyone is.
With daily cases now topping 40000, the next huge decision is do schools and universities return after the Christmas break? Of your sole aim was to limit the spread of the virus this would be a no brainier. But as we’ve seen previously, it is not a simple choice.

Fortunately our country is lead by a PM who is not known for dithering and delay when it comes to the big calls....???

With daily cases now topping 40000, the next huge decision is do schools and universities return after the Christmas break? Of your sole aim was to limit the spread of the virus this would be a no brainier. But as we’ve seen previously, it is not a simple choice.

Fortunately our country is lead by a PM who is not known for dithering and delay when it comes to the big calls....???
I think this is the point at which the current vaccine schedule starting with the most vulnerable comes under scrutiny. Assuming that the Oxford vaccine gets approval this week, the focus should move to mass vaccinations in schools, hospitals, offices, manufacturing sites. If possible doing this in parallel with the old and vulnerable. It's probable that you could vaccinate hundreds of people in schools in the time it will take to arrange appointments and vaccinate elderly and disabled people confined to their own homes. It might be politically difficult, but the impact of getting vaccines out there will be better served more quickly by just getting as many people jabbed asap. If there are 100m doses available, no one is going to miss out, its just trying to have the best result in the soonest time.

At school when I was a small boy I seem to remember us queuing up to get a injection,but I can not remember what for,so it could be done.

I think we lined up for the Polio jab.seemed to remember they used the same blunt needle. to save costs they also gave you a quick hair check carried out by Nitty Norah the Bug Explorer. I remember straight after the jab they sent us out on a Cross Country Run to stop the whingers who said they had a sore arm the P E teacher told em "it will take your mind off it " you tart. Not sure if political correctness had kicked in at that time ?

I think this is the point at which the current vaccine schedule starting with the most vulnerable comes under scrutiny. Assuming that the Oxford vaccine gets approval this week, the focus should move to mass vaccinations in schools, hospitals, offices, manufacturing sites. If possible doing this in parallel with the old and vulnerable. It's probable that you could vaccinate hundreds of people in schools in the time it will take to arrange appointments and vaccinate elderly and disabled people confined to their own homes. It might be politically difficult, but the impact of getting vaccines out there will be better served more quickly by just getting as many people jabbed asap. If there are 100m doses available, no one is going to miss out, its just trying to have the best result in the soonest time.
Agree with the gist of your post, Knutsfordian. I would like to see a huge mass vaccination programme now and the jabs rolled out a lot more quickly. This could avoid a “third wave” and months more of lockdowns. It’s our one big, and for me, only hope to get out of this anytime soon. You would think they’d be throwing everything at this and let’s hope we see that January vaccine acceleration.

Closing schools isn’t actually an easy decision, James. Education is important and let’s remember Labour also back keeping schools open. No easy decisions here.

Agree with the gist of your post, Knutsfordian. I would like to see a huge mass vaccination programme now and the jabs rolled out a lot more quickly. This could avoid a “third wave” and months more of lockdowns. It’s our one big, and for me, only hope to get out of this anytime soon. You would think they’d be throwing everything at this and let’s hope we see that January vaccine acceleration.

Closing schools isn’t actually an easy decision, James. Education is important and let’s remember Labour also back keeping schools open. No easy decisions here.
I think they will - everything is predicated on getting the Oxford vaccine approval

So the vaccine gets approved today which is an excellent step forwards. The Health Secretary was on TV this morning talking about the approval and the roll out. Unless I am mistaken, he was indicating that from a base of 400,000 doses, the vaccinations would begin with the vulnerable but the intention was to vaccinate as many people within the next 12 weeks before starting with the 2nd round of vaccinations. With the thousands of people vaccinated getting enough benefit from that first dose that it will be enough to almost eliminate hospitalisation among that vaccinated group. So I think we all have to hope that this process gathers momentum asap

Reactions: Ben
I’m still holding out hope for a spring next year return to normality/semi normality. They won’t want this to go on until June.
Sir Simon Stevens reckons 20 million vaccinations could be made by April at 2 million a week. Let’s hope he is right. Remember not everyone needs to be vaccinated for us to open up, it’s the vulnerable groups that are most important.

Last edited:

Read my post fully Ben. I said

“If your sole aim was to limit the spread of the virus this would be a no brainier. But as we’ve seen previously, it is not a simple choice.”

The reason I said this is closing schools, colleges and universities isnt an easy decision and has huge consequences on children and students.

But given the increased transmissibility of the new strain, opening them after Christmas is going to be a big, big call. The biggest Johnson will have to make so far during is tenure as PM

Yes not an easy decision, James. Balancing the education of young people with the need to control the virus. I do sympathise with the view that people and businesses are being asked to make big sacrifices and that their efforts are being undermined by keeping schools open.
Tier 4 it is by the way!

Yes it's good news but have a look at the Covid jab estimator - https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk

I've got 23milion people ahead of me & an estimated date of June 2021 at the earliest.
Don't expect things to get better anytime soon
From what I understand, AZ can produce the vaccine in really high numbers of doses, but the delivery is being held back by the finishing components that allow the vaccine to be distributed. The promise from Matt Hancock yesterday was that the vaccines would be rolled out as quickly as they were delivered - but it was Jonathon Van Tam that indicated the finishing components issue. I think this is the reason that the Government cannot print a timetable for vaccine distribution, but JVT said the dates could not be worked out based on current vaccination levels as more doses were coming on stream and more options for delivery being engaged. I think we just have to sit tight and wait. The EU countries will not get the vaccine for a few weeks due to issues over "incomplete paperwork", so that may mean we get a few deliveries that otherwise may have gone to the EU. How very sad ;)

It's interesting how the vaccines are now two doses up to 12 weeks apart despite that not being how the trials were run.
It means more people will have a degree of protection sooner but also gives the tin hat brigade some ammunition.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...cond-stage-nhs-vaccinations-delayed-across-uk

And in local news I heard today that Kingsmead surgery are starting doing the jabs on Monday.

Crowds gathering in huge numbers restriction free to celebrate New Year in New Zealand and Australia. We’ll have to settle with Zoom parties. What went so wrong here?

Back