• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

local football the future

virgil caine

Legend
Jan 31, 2017
in this months OUR TOWN magazine which is available free(in the library and most shops) WHS alan lowe in his "DONT GET ME STARTED column has written a very interesting piece entitled ARISE NORTHWICH ALBION concerning the future of local football and which to be fair to AL he does make some good points,Well worth a read

I suspect that I would agree with Alan Lowes sentiments if Alan were not such a divisive figure by his comments about our and other local football clubs.

I remember that "debate" being started in the mid-70s under the slogan "One team in town - make Northwich United". It had a shelf life of a few months and even got a positive mention in his NV programme column by the venerable Mike T-B (ande if he reads this he may shudder at that!), but failed to enthuse the vast majority of locals.

I realise times change, but even the practicalities of merging a private shareholder club with a community fan-owned club (plus another lot with more legal entities in the past few years than fans) seem on their own to militate against any such thoughts.

Forgetting all the politics with such an idea, back in the 90's you could probably have been pushing the football league with a combined team. Nowadays I would guess that National League North mid-table is as far as you could get without financial backing.

Not for me, and I would be surprised if you found many that backed it.

Any chance a kind individual might be able to attach the piece to this thread (seeing as it’s free anyway)?;)

I’m not for one moment suggesting the idea would get my vote, but it would be good to see the points he makes so we get both sides of the debate.

it is a monthly magazine that features articles and regular columns by local personalities on Northwich and surrounding areas.ALs column is always a highlight. would best if you could get one posted out.perhaps if you contacted them on 01606 354499 they would send you one the guy who runs it is called John Buckley

John Buckley the former Sports Editor of the Chronicle.

that's the man John buckley who runs it writes a column called "Personally Speaking " also Mark Bevan former editor of the Northwich Guardian and also author of 20 years of madness writes a monthly column. it has a large circulation not sure if 1874 have ever had an advert in it.think Witton have used it to place adverts for the social club.might be something to think about

Reactions: Tez
I have just read Mr Lowe's article,And my opinion of him has not altered.
To points,firstly he say's all three clubs are existing hand to mouth,I can't speak for Witton or Vics,but 1874 certainly are not.
Secondly He say's I quote(The 1874 is because of the erroneous belief that was the year of the original
Vics formation it nods towardsthe origins,but Vics were actually founded in 1890.
Well Mr Lowe the original Vics played their first match in 1873 and were foumed in 1874.The Vics of today was formed in 1890 and took the name Northwich Victoria.
So Mr Lowe when you make statements please get you facts correct.

Obviously, having made such comments about being "hand to mouth", he has access to our bank accounts and financial status otherwise his comments would be untrue and pure speculation, probably based on wi**ons current standing.......Lowe talking bo**ocks.....surely not!

I think the main point of alans article is the future of local football for future generations and the decline in attendances for all clubs at this level.

Oh that's o k then....didn't realize you could just make up any shit as long as it helps you get your main point over :rolleyes:

An unkind soul (unlike me) might suggest that is one of the key tenets of most journalism

The point is,if Mr Lowe whish's to make a point, by making false statement's( and in print at that) he should stick to the things he knows to be true.The one thing that amazes me is that his article was not edited before it went to print,It makes one wonder if other articles in Our Town are as inaccurate as his.
May be the right thing for him to do would be for him to retract the parts of is article that are not factual.

I'm glad you did Virgil,it gave me the chance to correct Mr Lowe's lack of factual information,maybe when he use's other people's research he will read it all not just nit pick.:finger

Certainly making the assertion (without qualification) in print, in a community magazine, that ‘74 (or Vics, tbf he isn’t privy to their balance sheet I would imagine?) that either club is living “hand to mouth” is poor and (dare I say) a little divisive. However if the premis of his argument is that all three clubs have a limitation as to how big their financial ambitions can be given the indifference of the Mid-Cheshire folk to watching or supporting local football, then I can’t disagree with the point. I haven’t read the article yet so I can’t really comment whether this was what he was trying to say or not.;)

Back