• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Linnets New Years Day

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
A narrow defeat & a red card. There's a surprise.

It seems we only talk about referees when we lose but he had an interesting game.
Let lots of fouls go at first & then made some strange decisions.
From behind the far goal I thought Markell fouled their forward, but wasn't the last man so it should have been a yellow.
Taylors yellow looked harsh but I think he's been booked in his last 5 games now.

As for us, we started both halves really well but didn't really create anything. Big T was outstanding, commanding his area & making some top quality saves. I fully expect a huge offer from Macc any minute.

And the Linnets no.10 was the best player on the pitch again.

Not for the first time this season I find myself saying the away side were better and deserved to win.
They were quicker to the ball and won most of the 50/50 balls and put us under a lot of pressure. Every time they attacked they did with 3/4 players and quickly. Again we were to slow and pedantic going forward. Reid was stranded up front far too often.

Was very impressed with the Runcorn No 10 a cracking little player.
I was level with Foulds foul in second half and I think the ref made the right decision. However there were many of his decisions I thought were very iffy.
The players put a shift in but I have to say I do not understand the starting line up (again) unless there were injury issues. Taylor is NOT a full back (that’s why he keeps getting booked) and is wasted in that position. Why were O ‘ Neill and Weir not playing from the start. And why is Russell not playing and stuck in the dug out. He is an experienced full back. Baffled!!
Don’t think we will ever beat Linnets.

Disappointed today as I thought we had a good chance of beating Linnets based on our recent form
However we only showed glimpses of how we have been playing
I never really complain about any referee, but this guy today was well out of his depth
He made so many mistakes and almost all at our expense
Linnets really know how to play the officials, with number 10 the worst offender, couldn’t stay on his feet

We were poor today given our recent performances but Ill put that down to how good Linnets are out of possession and how well they close you down.

It was scrappy, even and everything a derby game is, I still think the red card for Markell is harsh, especially with a man covering and a lot of Linnets fans are tending to agree with me on that.

Great to see Kenzie back out there after his injury and our league attendance record smashed, we’ll be fine, lets get back to it on Tuesday?

Reactions: Ben
Today was basically standard for a game against Linnets. Tight and one goal in it and the ref takes centre stage with another red card that wasn’t.

I didn’t think there was much in it, they edged it and had that bit more in the final third. They dealt with our attacking play relatively comfortably and seemed to win all the second balls. Their number 10 was very impressive.

We only showed glimpses of the side that has been playing such good football recently. We’ll be fine though, plenty more games to come where we can win. Great attendance by the way, record breaking!

You never know we might beat Linnets one day. We can hope.

Agree with much of the above. Runcorn the better side overall but not by a big margin. Referee made some odd decisions and wasn’t consistent when it came to bookings. On another day Foulds would have been given a yellow and anywhere else on the pitch wouldn’t have even been booked. He was unlucky to be red carded but these fine margins have an impact at every level.

We have come a long way this season and need to put things in perspective. Runcorn are a top 5 side and will be at least in the playoffs come May…we matched them for a good 60 minutes and although they were on top after, that they had to wait until we were down to ten men to capitalise. On another day we could have come away with a point but no real complaints.

We have stabilised our position in mid table which is a tremendous effort….I heard Savage was there today no doubt sniffing around, looking forward to meeting them next season. Fabulous gate today….excellent away support and 500 or so greens turning out….fabulous. COYG

Does anyone know why Foulds was sent off?
From what I saw he pulled their lad back just outside the box…not much in it but I assume the ref deemed Foulds was our last man which is debatable. The ref was well behind play but made made a very quick decision to show him the red card. That convinced me that the ref was inept…a good ref would have taken his time, maybe consulted the liner before making such a crucial decision with the game poised at 1-1 with 15 mins left. The ref should learn from this hopefully…..

Followed the game via Linnets' radio commentary (and of course our Live Chat), and interestingly their 2 commentators both repeatedly remarked how poor they thought the ref was.

Foregone conclusion that we'd get a red card at some point - wouldn't be a proper Linnets game otherwise.

Agree with the above apart from the 500 greens as I though at last there was really good away numbers at least 250 (including the idiot with the flare who hopefully Runcorn will identify and ban), as above they know how to play the officials and I also think our team selection was wrong, its uncanny as nearly all greens including myself said before the game we would have one sent off, they got away with a lot and the ref really was out of his depth but favoured them big time for some reason.
Still we are doing well in our first season so hopefully this will continue.
See you all Tuesday.
COYG

Agree with the above apart from the 500 greens as I though at last there was really good away numbers at least 250 (including the idiot with the flare who hopefully Runcorn will identify and ban), as above they know how to play the officials and I also think our team selection was wrong, its uncanny as nearly all greens including myself said before the game we would have one sent off, they got away with a lot and the ref really was out of his depth but favoured them big time for some reason.
Still we are doing well in our first season so hopefully this will continue.
See you all Tuesday.
COYG
Thinking back to the first half when all their fans were at the bottom end i reckon they had about a third of the gate…..good turnout from the greens though….no doubt a few isolating too.

I would agree with that and hope a few locals who attended come back, pleased to see a good away following which probably numbered more than all the others added together.
Last thing is mackenzie should be in every starting line up, hopefully we can get something against them next season if they stay down.
Also a big well done to everybody involved in the staging of the game.
COYG

Having just seen the VEO footage the red card looks very harsh. Maybe from the refs angle Markell appeared to be the last man as the Linnets player blocked his view of the covering defender?

I think the goal was 38 seconds. Is that our fastest ever?

And I forgot to praise the board & volunteers for their efforts yesterday. Especially the 50/50 sellers ?

Having just seen the VEO footage the red card looks very harsh. Maybe from the refs angle Markell appeared to be the last man as the Linnets player blocked his view of the covering defender?

I think the goal was 38 seconds. Is that our fastest ever?

And I forgot to praise the board & volunteers for their efforts yesterday. Especially the 50/50 sellers ?
Was the 50/50 ticket claimed.? It was not possible to hear any announcements in the far right hand corner of the ground. Perhaps a scantily clad clapper board person could go round the ground with the winning numbers displayed (amongst other things) !

Hell if you read linnets match report you would think they only committed 1 foul and were hard done to by the ref, no mention of the flare though.
Think Edge may have won the 50/50.

Calmed down a bit now! The @eliteriffraff's tweet before the game said it all. If you hadn't seen it it was a funny referee dancing with a red card in his hand.

Once the lad got the wrong side of Markel it was always going to be a foul for me, but with Taylor coming across covering it was never a red. Basically the referee had a shocker but for both teams. Some of his decisions were strange to say the least.

The sending off really did assist Linnets, but they were getting on top and perhaps may well have gone on to win anyway. At the break I was well satisfied with the situation as we were coming out for the second half with the slope and the wind behind us. We did start the half quite well but the continual pressing by Linnets was giving them more possession and chances and the small No.10 was running the game not only with his excellent football but with his "falling over". There were 3 really good goals in the game and I would be really critical to blame any defenders.

MoM only one for me, Big T's best performance ever. Not only some outstanding saves but his commanding presence on crosses was a joy to see.

I see this as an opportunity missed to beat Linnets for the first time but we really didn't play to the standard of Trafford, Kidsgrove away and Mossley after 0-3. So no complaints about the result but just the way it was achieved. Also the team selection was a little strange, as was the substitutions. Weir surely should have started given his recent performances and I can only assume Mackenzie was still not 100%. Russy needed to come on for Taylor early in the second half especially with him being on a yellow and walking a tightrope.

Opinions, I love it, and of course we don't know the full picture in respect of fitness etc.

See everyone Tuesday

Hell if you read linnets match report you would think they only committed 1 foul and were hard done to by the ref, no mention of the flare though.
Think Edge may have won the 50/50.
The most biased report I have ever read…Whoever wrote it must have overdone the new year celebrations big time?

Back