• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Lancaster City 4th September

richard webb

I Live Here
Aug 7, 2013
Find below the info used as the basis of the bit in yesterday's programme. If you are interested in a bit of a crawl the ale trail map referred to below is good but do note the comment from Martin Sherlock of Camra, also below. It is worth just stating a final comment from Martin "I don't know what it is about Northwich but in the days when the football club played in the same league as Morecambe, I used to get emails from a supporter wanting drinking advice." Maybe Andy Higginson for his good programme notes or any one of a number of our supporters!

ClubLancaster City
Game DateSaturday 4th September
Game time3pm
Ground addressGiant Axe, West Road, Lancaster, LA1 5PE
Home coloursBlue Shirts, Shorts and socks
DirectionsM6 J33. Follow A6 into Lancaster City Centre. Turn left (SP Railway station) at Waterstones/Royal Kings Arms into Market Street. Cross railway bridge and turn right into Station Road. At end follow left into West road and ground is on right hand side
Parking facilitiesMatch day parking remains free of charge for supporters attending matches.
Railway stationLancaster City
BusN/A
Admission PricesAdults: £10, Concessions/OAP/Students: £7, Juniors (14-17): £5
Under 14s: FREE (if accompanied by an adult)
Programme price£3
Disabled access and toiletsYes
CarersCarers for disabled fans are allowed in free or on concession
Food at groundDolly’s Diner and Tony’s Tea Bar Hot and Cold selection
Drinks at groundCans , Bottled, Draught and Craft beers are available in Netbusters and the Dugout Bar
Are dogs allowedIf on a lead and calm
Local pubsCamra - Nothing near the ground, in fact nothing west of the railway line. If you leave the station in the other direction, you're into the town centre and loads of choice. See the GBG and http://lunesdale.camra.org.uk/pubsetc/aletrail2019.pdf. Note that the Britannia and the Butcher n Tonic are shut, the Tap House no longer has a "fantastic range of real ales" and the Robert Gillow has been renamed the Jailor's (sic) Barrel. Coming from the south in Scotforth there's the Wobbly Cobbler, well worth a visit but it's a micropub so won't be able to accommodate a coachload. For a large party consider the Boot & Shoe if, and only if, you like JW Lees beers, they have good selection. Both of these can be found on WhatPub.
James Wood - Merchants on the way from the station to the city centre would be a great first / last stop. Beautiful vaulted building and has had great beer for the last 35 years since I visited regularly as a student. Golden Lion in Dalton Square ditto. Three Mariners by the bus stop second ditto.
Summary - Nearest 2 to ground are Jailor’s Barrel and Merchants, so maybe stick to them unless you want a good crawl!
Local places of interestLancaster has many fine buildings and is known as the Northern City of Ale, with almost 30 pubs serving real ale with two cask ale breweries: Lancaster Brewery and a microbrewery run by the Borough. Among places of interest are the Castle, Priory Church and Ashton Memorial
AcknowledgementsWikipedia, Jasmin (secretary LCFC), Martin Sherlock (CAMRA Lunesdale), James Wood.

Attachments

• 1630234480847.png
    1630234480847.png
    371.2 KB · Views: 3
A second 1-0 defeat in a week.

Here's what Simmo said..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The goal
Similar to Linnets in bloke runs through unchecked & gets a shot away.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Outmuscled but not outclassed, as Simmo said.

Lancaster were nothing special today, just effective. They deserved their win.

We knew that making the step up to the NPL after 8 seasons in the NWCFL that it would be a huge learning curve.

However, today and on Monday, we have gone down to 1-0 losses but not really tested the opposition goal keeper enough considering how much we usually create.

Im not sure if we are lacking confidence or its the obvious step up in how teams set up off the ball against us not allowing us to play, but our usual fast flowing football played all on the deck seems to have changed to long balls up to Scotty. If we’re going to play this way, we will need other options upfront to make the ball stick, wonder if Ky still has his boots??

This has resulted in no shots on target today and one on Monday.

However it does have to be noted we haven’t lined up this season with what most of us would agree is our strongest 11, due to a number of injuries, key ones being Harry Cain, Lucas Weir, Lee Jackson and Matt Woolley missed a couple of games. This isn’t an excuse for the inconsistent performances but definitely a big factor.

We move on to Leek Town at Townfield on Tuesday, fingers crossed we see a much improved performance and another win?

We knew that making the step up to the NPL after 8 seasons in the NWCFL that it would be a huge learning curve.

However, today and on Monday, we have gone down to 1-0 losses but not really tested the opposition goal keeper enough considering how much we usually create.

Im not sure if we are lacking confidence or its the obvious step up in how teams set up off the ball against us not allowing us to play, but our usual fast flowing football played all on the deck seems to have changed to long balls up to Scotty. If we’re going to play this way, we will need other options upfront to make the ball stick, wonder if Ky still has his boots??

However it does have to be noted we haven’t lined up this season with what most of us would agree is our strongest 11, due to a number of injuries, key ones being Harry Cain, Lucas Weir, Lee Jackson and Matt Woolley missed a couple of games. This isn’t an excuse for the inconsistent performances but definitely a big factor.

We move on to Leek Town at Townfield on Tuesday, fingers crossed we see a much improved performance and another win?

Agree with many of the comments above but I do think we are expecting a little too much. This on paper was the 6th toughest draw of the round for us. After all we have only had a handful of games at the level below Lancaster who are an established club at NPL prem level. The fact we lost by one goal and battled throughout is a measure of how far we have come. If Peterborough lost 1-0 at Everton in the FAC I’m sure they would bow out with much credit…it’s a learning curve for us! Fantastic support again today…150 is an excellent away following. Now to Leek on Tuesday…COYG

Attachments

• C1FC6F44-18EE-484C-B8F1-5C89B6F42298.jpeg
    C1FC6F44-18EE-484C-B8F1-5C89B6F42298.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Carbon copy of the Runcorn game. Decent defensive performance, gave the ball away too much and too slow in midfield ( mainly due to opposition being quicker and more physical) and a dearth of opportunities in attack ( due to Scotty running around on his own with little support). Still unconvinced with one or two players who I think are not good enough at this level. Think we desperately need more up front or it’s going to be a long season.

No shots on target in 2 games. No matter what the standard you are not going to win.
Very disappointing but Big T again played well which is encouraging.

I can take a 1-0 defeat against a higher ranking team but we didn't offer much in our desire to win.

Agree with many of the comments above but I do think we are expecting a little too much. This was on paper was the 6th toughest draw of the round for us.
This. We do clearly need to offer more as an attacking threat as the games against Linnets and today against Lancaster have shown.

However, as you say, Lancaster are higher level opponents and we’ve only got beat 1-0 and 7 points from 5 games is a decent return in the league that we would have taken at the start of the season.

Coming up to NPL level for the first time was always going to take time to adjust. A lot of the season to play for and hopefully we can up it against Leek on Tuesday!

Agree with many of the comments above but I do think we are expecting a little too much. This on paper was the 6th toughest draw of the round for us. After all we have only had a handful of games at the level below Lancaster who are an established club at NPL prem level. The fact we lost by one goal and battled throughout is a measure of how far we have come. If Peterborough lost 1-0 at Everton in the FAC I’m sure they would bow out with much credit…it’s a learning curve for us! Fantastic support again today…150 is an excellent away following. Now to Leek on Tuesday…COYG

The defending yesterday was generally good. They had 4 or 5 shots which were hit straight at Tony which suggests good positioning by him and shielding by the defenders and at least as many again which were blocked by legs and bodies. At the other end what did we have? One shot way over the bar from Matt W and Scotty's last gasp header.

The mid-field are having trouble finding their way through the better organised defences we are now coming up against and getting decent balls into Scotty. I am glad I am not one of the managers! But i agree with much of the above. it is still early days.

Our managers decided to stick with the squad and believed in them, and let them prove they are good enough. I really respect this - they clearly develop a great relationship with players and a loyalty and affinity with the club. This is why when good players leave, they often return. I never hear our managers be negative about players or the team publicly (like other managers not a million miles away).
I too wonder if just having McGowen up front is going to work now we are in a higher league and the passing game is going to need to be quicker and tighter. I’m sure the managers will make tough decisions if needed, especially if players are struggling at this level or if we need a tactical change. It’s going to be a tough season I think, but hopefully we’ll do enough and can kick on from there.

Back