• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Irlam - Would you change the team? or leave the starting 11 as is?

Alan Riding

Too much time on my hands
Jul 31, 2013
I would possibly leave it as is. They need to build the understanding, particularly in midfield.

We will surely score goals with this team. I would put Saturday down to just one of those days. We need to create more from midfield, but I think that may come with the players we have.

A bit of shooting practice wouldn't go amiss either!!

I would keep the same team. A consistent team brings a consistent playing style and hopefully results. The performance on Saturday wasn't a bad one and we did get unlucky with the fine game their keeper had and some great clearances off the line. Maybe the 490 crowd got to the players a little and they will feel more comfortable with two away games at Irlam and Daisy Hill, which I see as a great chance to really kick-start our season.

I would like to see the team play with greater width at Irlam. We looked dangerous when the ball was sent out wide to the likes of McGregor and Hendley. Pretty sure that if Brandon gets the service, he will score a fair few goals.

I've only been able to make one game so far - SD Cup v AFC Rushden and Diamonds. I thought 1874 were excellent that day when playing on a 3G pitch.

More an observation than a criticism...is the grass at the Barton long-ish? I'm only going from photos.

Don't like to comment on games I didn't attend but wouldn't think much needed changing from a 1-1 draw when still early days and Adam Foy only slotting into the midfield late in pre-season.

"Long-ish" is one way of putting it! It contributed in my view to the breakdown of play in midfield especially.

I'd keep the same team, to build some understanding. It was not a bad performance.

Once the left back is fit, Ryan Stewart will push into midfield and that'll be the strongest eleven to pick from.

I am assuming that the grass is being left on the long side in order to protect the pitch. Hopefully we will benefit from a pitch with grass on during winter, especially with 2 teams using it.

I think the squad what we played on Saturday will probably start against Irlam with one or two changes due to injury's. Hopefully this time the final ball in will be better because I thought we lacked that on Saturday and that's what let us down in the end.

Dave Tickle (first choice left full back) is still recovering from a groin strain. He'll slot in there in the coming weeks and Ryan Stewart will push forward into his preferred role on the left wing.

Lee Hendley is definitely out tomorrow night (Irlam) and may miss the Daisy Hill match too, after going off with a calf problem following a tackle on Saturday. With Dave out and Ryan deputising in defence, Phil Coffin could start on the left flank, with Dean McGregor switched to the right - as happened after Lee went off at the weekend.

Of course, Ian may have different ideas and want to give some fresh legs a run out - Paul Bowyer, Paul Lewis and Jack McKay could potentially come in. Adam Leake (second choice goalkeeper) has only just returned from a holiday in the States, so may have to wait for his first league appearance.

Steve Warburton (not in the announced squad but trained several times and is another former Winsford player) is still struggling with his shifts and hasn't featured at all due to work commitments. He would offer some competition for Ste Crane, alongside Adam Foy as a ball playing midfielder in the middle of the park. Foy himself is not 100% match fit and needs a run of games under his belt.

Despite a few injury concerns/fitness doubts, I fully expect us to record back-to-back wins in our next two outings. Nelson will be a very tough test a week on Saturday, as they'll be challenging at the top of the table having had a very good pre-season and put together a strong squad.

I'd keep the same team as Saturday but if Hendley is injured then bring in Phil Coffin.

I'd keep to the same starting line-up but keep Phil Coffin in if Lee Hendley is out.
The lads did well on Saturday under the circumstances - they must have felt the pressure!

Keep it the same, making changes now will just unsettle the team.

Lets hope for a win and a really good following, Same team where possible.

Back