• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

General Election 2017

Who will you be voting for on June 8th

• Conservative

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Labour

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • UKIP

• Green

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

• Total voters
Is Corbyn really going to attempt to deselect moderate labour MPs, even those with majorities of 29 000?? Labour supporters beware; this man is going to change your party beyond recognition and it's going to take a long time to get it back from Momentum and whoever else is running it behind the scenes.

Is Corbyn really going to attempt to deselect moderate labour MPs, even those with majorities of 29 000?? Labour supporters beware; this man is going to change your party beyond recognition and it's going to take a long time to get it back from Momentum and whoever else is running it behind the scenes.

I think a lot of this scaremongering whipped up by the right-wing media.

I've not seen much evidence that this is happening and I think there is now a general feeling that the whole party should unite and focus on challenging the Tories and returning to power.

The fact that Labour increased the number of their MPs by 30 and share of the vote considerably in the election just gone, indicates to me that deselection of moderate Labour MPs is not going to happen. Despite all the criticism that Momentum has faced, it's proved to be a formidable grassroots campaigning force for the Labour party, and is mainly made up of young, educated voters who want the chance to build a new, kinder type of politics.

I hope to see a Labour Party that is a broad church which encourages opinion from the moderate centre-ground to the radical left. I'd like to see that reflected in the membership, its voters, MPs and Shadow Cabinet. There is room for Abbott, McDonnell but also room for Hilary Benn, Yvette Cooper etc...

"A new kinder type of politics" - somehow I can't see that catching on as a Momentum slogan! ;)

When he was first elected, (I think) Corbyn was espousing a different kind on non adversarial politics which he tried to bring into PM questions. Now he has the wind at his back he' s become a full on, bring the Tories down at any costs leader. I think it will backfire at some point

"A new kinder type of politics" - somehow I can't see that catching on as a Momentum slogan! ;)
Why not?

Knutsfordian, that remains to be seen, but Labour have an 8 point lead the first You Gov/Times poll since the election.

They are on 46% of the vote compared to 38% Tory. So Corbyn's strategy seems to be working. The tide does seem to be turning and to the left if you ask me.

A long way to go of course but I've not felt as optimistic about Labour's chances for a long time... especially in the context of May's general incompetence.

I think labour are shooting into an empty net at the moment - it won't always be like that
I reckon that if May remains as leader and with the disastrous economic consequences which we could face from Brexit, and a resurgent, united Labour party behind Corbyn now more than ever, anything can happen.

Well well,

After all of Labours promises to scrap tuition fees if they won the election, Labour are now set to RAISE tuition fees in Wales.

I hope those young voters they lied to take note.

Andy, no one has lied.

The leader of Welsh Labour is Carwyn Jones. They run the National Assembly for Wales. Education is a DEVOLVED matter in Wales.

This decision is nothing to do with the Labour Party in Westminster led by Jeremy Corbyn. The Welsh Labour party are far more to the right if you ask me.

On the subject of raising the £9,000 tuition fee cap in Wales, I don't support that. I do support tuition fees though and think Labour were right to introduce them back in 1997. Far more students go to university now than they did 20 years and the standard of university education has greatly improved. That said, the cost of fees has become too excessive now and needs to be reduced, with more support introduced for poorer students.

We've done this one to death - the fact is that wherever the fees are raised, whether as a charge on the student or as a govt payment to the univ's, the taxpayer eventually ends up picking up most of the cost, sooner or later - and if later, what little taxpayer cost is saved by some students having paid off some of their massive debts is more than wiped out by the excessive interest added to the loans by the time the govt has to write them off and pay them. The only question is therefore whether we swallow the bullet and pay as taxpayers now up front or whether we delay the payment for however many years the loans are set to run and pay then (which is lumbering our children with debt, as the current govt keep telling us is the Labour plan). Elementary economics.

Yes the debate has been done to death, Alan. But that isn't the point, the point is Labour run an General Election campaign on the pledge of scrapping Uni fees, infact that was the promise that ended the Tory majority, and then the do this in Wales...

Good to see a lot of momentum gaining in the calls to make Jacob Rees Mogg leader of the conservatives.

He wouldn't be scared to debate Corbyn, he'd rip him a new one.

Ben's point was right though - as in Scotland, univ fees is a devolved issue, not one controlled by central govt, and just as I wouldn't criticise the Tories because of the issues where Ruth Davidson may be at odds with the UK party, if the Welsh Labour Party hold a position on an issue that is theirs to defend. And as with all the moans about the Welsh NHS which the Conservatives constantly trot out, this does overlook the fact that if central govt funding to the devolved nations doesn't cover costs of devolved services, then they don't have much choice, they either cut them or charge more for them to compensate for the central underpayment.

Rees Mogg would be an election-loser. His performance on Question Time last week was arrogant and unlikely to win friends amongst the general populace.

He wouldn't be scared to debate Corbyn, he'd rip him a new one.
He really wouldn't. Mogg would be more of a disaster than May and that's saying something. Last thing the country needs is a Brexit loving, outspoken dinosaur like Mogg.

The Tories lost their majority in the election because of a good Labour campaign backed by Momentum, with popular policies. But also because of May's total ineptitude and a hapless Tory campaign.

As for tuition fees in Wales, again all I'd say is it's a devolved matter and to use this as an argument against Labour is just getting desperate

th.jpg
Thought this was an appropriate picture being as this thread is just a constant one with everyone going round in circles repeating what they've already said at some point! If we manage another 63 pages (god forbid!!), I will see if I can find one of a bottomless pit!

Blackie, this thread is a lot less dull if you ask me than dozens of pages about Vics and Witton on their respective threads. But if you don't like this thread, don't read it! :p ;)

JRM4PM I say - for the sheer comedy value if nothing else!

May and her ineptness has just become boring now.

Blackie, this thread is a lot less dull if you ask me than dozens of pages about Vics and Witton on their respective threads. But if you don't like this thread, don't read it! :p ;)
At least they are about football, something we can all get passionate about and in the right place....on a football forum!!
Politics!.....well :dead!
Generally I do keep away from the thread, I just look now and again to see if someone has surprised me and said something new and exciting.......I'm still waiting to be surprised!! :meh .

Corbyns true B.S colours coming out

IMG_5628.JPG

Back