• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Friday puzzle

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
First in an very occasional series of puzzles.

There were three prisoners, one of whom was blind.

They were offered their freedom if they could succeed in the following game. Their jailer produced three white hats and two red hats and, in the dark, placed a hat on each prisoner.

The prisoners were then taken into the light where, except for the blind man, they could see one another (but they could not see the hat on their own head).

The game was for any prisoner to state correctly the colour of the hat he himself was wearing.

The jailer asked one of the men who could see if he knew, and the man said ‘no’.

Then the jailer asked the other man who could see if he knew, and his answer was ‘no’.

The blind man at this point correctly stated the colour hat he was wearing, winning the game and freedom for all three.

What colour hat was he wearing, and how did he know?

The blind prisoner was blind but isn't now and sees the other two prisoners each wearing red hats therefore his hat must be white.

This is an AlanM puzzle

Nope, he's blind. There's no trickery and all the info you require is in the post

Is it white because...

Man 1 could see the hats of the other two. He would know he was wearing white if the others both had a red hat as there were only two reds so 2 and 3 (blind) can't both be wearing red.

Man 2 could see the hats of the other two. He now knows that if 3 (blind) has a red hat then he must have a white hat (from above) but he says he doesn't know, so 3 (blind) can't be wearing a red hat.

Man 3 (blind) can then suss out that he must be wearing a white hat.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems vaguely familiar from an aptitude test I once had during a job interview. The job didn't involve hats.

It is for me, the first of 3 Fridays this week.

Don't know the answer (too complicated for me!) but all I can say is the jailer knew his hat combinations very well. Red and White go very well together :D

What Edge didn't mention was that the jailer was himself red/green colour blind and just believed what the hat salesman - who was a shyster - said.

2nd Friday of my week so 2nd question...

Romeo and Juliet are found dead on the floor in a bedroom. When they were discovered, there were pieces of glass and some water on the floor. The only furniture in the room is a shelf and a bed. The house is in a remote location, away from everything except for the nearby railroad track. What caused the death of Romeo and Juliet?

The Montahugh's and the Capulet's teaming up and killing them on the sly?

Romeo and Juliet are fish. Their tank/bowl broke and they died.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back