• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Forum unavailable Saturday night

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
Advance notice of downtime this weekend.....

At approximately 1AM on Sunday 1st of December we will be migrating our Linux and Windows Cloud Webservices to our new datacentre in Slough.

For anyone who does not read our blog, this is our own datacentre, built to Tier3/4 standards, which is also our HQ building in Slough. It features 2N redundancy on all critical infrastructure, with no-expense-spared top of the line UPS, cooling, fire suppression and network equipment. We have our own on site electrical substation as well as diesel generators with enough fuel to last a week, and a contract in place to replenish that supply should we suffer an extended mains failure.

Unlike the majority of customer servers which are based in Equinix LD5 (and will not be moved), our shared Cloud hosting platform is currently in a much older colocation suite in Maidenhead. Despite the age of the site and its infrastructure, due to the scale and complexity of the Cloud, we have not moved it to date. However in order to maintain and continue to improve uptime, performance and features, we need to bring the systems 'home' where we have almost limitless space to expand, vastly more bandwidth as well as an inherently more reliable infrastructure in which to house the servers.

There will regrettably be an unavoidable period of downtime lasting approximately 2 hours whilst the servers are physically moved. We have taken the decision to move the system as a whole rather than to create a series of smaller outages as this has the least overall service impact.

The migration, which involves many racks of server equipment, storage and network hardware, will be handled by our own team, led by myself. All possible precautions have been taken to safeguard data. There will be no change in your website's IP address and, when the outage occurs, we will attempt to serve a holding page throughout (unbranded, for resellers).

This is the first time I have ever heard someone put a positive spin on a move to Slough (or North Windsor as a friend of mine once called it)

Isn't Slough still the UK home of the Mars Bar? Surely another positive? ;) :)

I have many happy memories of the Montem Leisure Centre in Slough where we used to play 5-a-side as part of the Heathrow Airport 5-a-side league. I was only there for one afternoon per week and that was enough for me!

Back