• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

FA Vase - Oldham Boro

Edge

Administrator
Forum Staff
5 Game Player
Jun 24, 2013
Lost 2-1 AET

Looking at twitter it seems we should have been out of sight at half time and then conceded 2 long range efforts

That is spot on we should have scored 3 or 4 first half, Can't understand how we start to struggle after that.
They had more players than fans so god know how many would have been there is we hadn't gone.
We really have to beat poor teams like this.
See you all at Eccleshall Wednesday.

First 20 mins, it was decent. Pressed the oppo high up the pitch, got the taclkes in and won the second balls - after that, we were so, so ordinary... again.

If there is anything positive to take from this, is that we wont ever lose to two better strikes than that... ever.

Not good enough.

It is becoming apparent that we are no better, but no worse than many teams in this league. That's not a criticism, just an observation. Reaching a higher level will take time, no reason why we can't be in the promotion mix after Xmas, but it is important that we keep the support positive and try to instil confidence in the team. Remember where we started from and not to expect to run before we can walk. A good result Wednesday and another 3 pts will help put today into perspective.

We were better first half but nowhere thereafter. In the first half their goalie kept them in it (like in the opening game) but he did not have much to do after then. They came out in the second half far keener than us and frankly deserved it. As said above they were two super strikes and nothing Matt nor the rest of us needs to be ashamed about losing to.
I like their bench, they talked to us in both games and today we heard their players are not paid and actually pay subs to play. Can we take on their numbers 1, 2, 3 & 4 who I thought were all great today.
More seriously we were poor today and few of our players were at their normal tempo. I will miss at least the next 2 games so let us hope they play better without me moaning!

Beaten by a workmanlike team rather than a good one, but you have to give it to them for the two glorious strikes on goal. Like the first game they didn't create much more. We were certainly the best team in the first half and deserved the half time lead. Then.......... whatever Streety said to them at half time had an adverse effect and we literally went downhill from there.

Not sure if everyone realises the cost of the loss to our club, firstly the £600 prizemoney for yesterday then a guaranteed home time against higher opposition and a good gate, and then who knows??

Very disappointing!

Now need to push on in the league. I do think we have good enough players but for some reason they usually run out of steam after 20-25 mins too many times. Last Tuesday was perhaps the exception when they stuck at it and got their reward.

Need a goal scorer. We can't go on scoring one goal from 25 shots on goal.

As has been said, decent first half then didn't turn up second.
Also think we need to freshen up the forwards because we can't continue to not convert any of the chances we are creating.
Special mention to number 5 (not sure of his name) not many beat him in the air.

Special mention to number 5 (not sure of his name) not many beat him in the air.

Paul Bowyer.

He'll beat very few over 5, 50 and I suspect even 500 yards but I'd back him in a "who can head the ball the hardest" competition any day!

Could do with trying to exploit this a little more at corners and free kicks.

I like their bench, they talked to us in both games and today we heard their players are not paid and actually pay subs to play.

No wonder they seemed so chuffed at the final whistle. Maybe they were on a win bonus which will see them getting their subs reimbursed!

Yesterday was the first time I've ever heard a team chanting at fans...."three fans...we've only got three fans..." Fair play!

Maybe another first in this season of firsts though is our first bogey team - Oldham Borough.

I thought the 2 centre backs were poor yesterday, too often beat by one long ball through the middle. I was stood by the home bench and all too many times I heard "straight down the middle, hit the forwards!".

We had enough goal opportunities to have won 3 games. Set pieces were ALOT better in quality but we still can't seem to capitalise on this.

Anyway, it's another distraction out the way, lets just win the league (tongue slightly in cheek but hopeful)

I was absolutely gutted to lose out on Saturday. Especially as we played them off the park for the first 30 minutes of the first half.

They had a back 3 that were absolutely superb. We helped them by continually lumping long straight balls right onto their foreheads.

Mike Brandon had an off day, I think its fair to say.

A couple of other observations I noticed that irked me slightly. Matt Conkie clearly has a problem kicking the ball as games progress for whatever reason. But nobody went and took the goal kicks, free kicks in and around the area or even took the ball off him on the floor in open play. We kept putting ourselves under pressure as his kicks weren't making it out of our own half again. We conceded the winner as he shanked a back pass out of play.

To make that worse, the final sub that came on "Warbie" made a shameful attempt to challenge the lad that scored when he was receiving a throw in, gave up running back with him and watched it fly into the net from what must have been 40 yards. His hands went straight on his head as it hit the net. He knew.

Final observation, at full time as the teams were preparing to change round for extra time the players gathered together to take some fluids on. Ian Street did not speak a single word.

Anyway - see you all on Wednesday. COY1874!

Back