• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

End of season thoughts

Ben

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jul 28, 2013
Thought I’d set up a thread for fans thoughts on how the season has gone.

On the whole I think it’s been a great season for us. Ups and downs but a solid mid-table finish in our first ever season at NPL level. As the season progressed, we really found our feet. The team and management should rightly be proud. A well earned break for them now.

Will be interesting to see how the squad shapes up over the summer now and if we can push on from our 12th place finish. We need to improve our home form. I expect it to be an even stronger league next season with the additions of Macc and Witton and without Kendal and MD, so we’ll need to be ready and I’ve no doubt we will be. COYG

The fans aim was 4th bottom or better so on that measure it's been a great season.

The league seemed to be the top 7, bottom 2 & the rest. With better home form we could have been higher, but without some of those points at Workington & Leek much lower.

And we lost Scotty & Jacko early on then Jakey later. Lucas missed a fair chunk of the season as well.

I'm sure GoBo knew what to expect in this league & now we do as well.

Top half & a cup run or two next season?

Next season could be interesting, especially if we lose Scotty and/or Jamie. On our crowds can we afford them or a decent replacement? Is Ash still with us? We do have Joe Wooley who has impressed me this season and maybe we could even change Mike Koral from a full back into an attacker?? :D
I hope Jonah stays with us and also Matt as we seem stronger with him. Some of the youngsters coming through have looked pretty impressive and let us hope more can follow Matty F and be even better than him! Centre back seems to have been our strongest position this season with Jonah, Matty, Markel and jack Marrow.
In the second half of the season I was impressed by Sam Hare, i.e. after his bench warming weeks (or months). Before I thought he was always looking to the play ball back afterwards he was regularly looking for the good penetrating ball and he covered an immense amount of the park. And I do like Jack Irlam, another player who seems to be everywhere and could be an ideal replacement for Jake. Another who has impressed me, especially during and since the Marine Cup match is Taylor. He is like a walking time bomb as he is so petulant but he has really settled into playing out of position at left back well, although I would much prefer to see him fully on the wing.
I think we have the basis of a respectable mid table side, but doubt we can afford more in the present circumstances. We need more people to watch us and ideally an arrangement with Barton where we are responsible for, and get the profits from, the bar at our home games so that we can afford to increase the budget available to the managers.
Just because I have not mentioned other players does not mean I think there is anything wrong with them!

Last Summer as well as being delighted at getting a deserved tilt at promotion, we wanted to be still playing Step 4 football twelve months later. We’ve more than achieved that.
Obviously next season we start again. Expectations realistically the same, but as mentioned already, a run in a cup competition would be a nice bonus too??

My hopes for next season are similar to what others have said. A top half finish would be great and hopefully a cup run or two.

Don’t think we can realistically expect more than this currently. Hoping for better home form and improved attendances also.

On the whole a very good season that was better than we anticipated. Home form was substandard in most games, away form was excellent in most games. We had several good spells in the season and a number of bad spells with consistency a problem throughout. Next season will see us benefit with more local interest as a result of wittons demise and Macc’s promotion. Our aggregate attendance will be much higher as a result of Macc and witton…if our home form improves and the fixture list is kind to us on bank hols and international breaks then there is no reason why our average gate shouldn’t be nearer 400 rather than 300. Hopefully season ticket deals and offers will generate a lot of interest ….maybe we can register record season ticket sales given that non league attendances appear to be on the up. COYG

For me I am happy with the final placing but it could have been so much better.

Consistency is key in football and we have proved that we can live with the best but also we were as bad as the worst. It is so difficult a thing to achieve and I am sure this is what frustrated the management most.

We played well at Rylands and lost, well at Bootle and lost and I could add a couple more. So it could have been a better finishing place. But... we were awful at home against Widnes, Bootle and Prescot so it could have been worse.

Yes it will be harder next year but we have proved we can do it so bring on Witton, Macc and Skem we'll be fine!!

Back