• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Dead parrot society

Knutsfordian

Too much time on my hands
Dec 18, 2014
Seems like the pronouncement (by me :D ) of the death of the dead parrot society was somewhat premature. I read a while back there was some discontent about HS2 in the local area but hadn't realised it was gaining such momentum. Given Tory success in Labour seats, I hadn't really seen this one coming, but good to know there is some opposition out there

The biggest shock to me was that there was a by election yesterday.

The biggest shock to me was that there was a by election yesterday.
Well yes there had been absolutely minimal coverage beforehand and I can't remember when I last saw Ed Davey on the box. He seems to appear less than Layla Moran.

It was a really good victory and obviously a well run local campaign that got a lot of Tory voters protesting against HS2. I suspect all that guff about ground breaking victories, changing the face of British politics, holding the government to account, Tories on the run was just that - guff churned out in the exuberance of victory to be consigned to the already full bin of one off victory by-election speeches . Oh and I think we should add Labour lost their deposit !

Well yes there had been absolutely minimal coverage beforehand and I can't remember when I last saw Ed Davey on the box. He seems to appear less than Layla Moran.
Davey made an appearance today looking very pleased with himself - knocking down a blue wall with a hammer. Looked more like Starmer buying wall paper in John Lewis than a winning leader of the opposition. Lets see how many seats they (LibDems) win in a proper election before they start gloating about knocking down blue walls.

It was a really good victory and obviously a well run local campaign that got a lot of Tory voters protesting against HS2. I suspect all that guff about ground breaking victories, changing the face of British politics, holding the government to account, Tories on the run was just that - guff churned out in the exuberance of victory to be consigned to the already full bin of one off victory by-election speeches . Oh and I think we should add Labour lost their deposit !
Labour had 7700 votes in the last election, 665 this time. The LDs won by 8000 votes. You do the maths.

What this result shows is if Labour, the LDs and Greens need to form a progressive alliance in England and Wales, they have every chance of ousting this lousy, corrupt bunch of liars

Labour had 7700 votes in the last election, 665 this time. The LDs won by 8000 votes. You do the maths.

What this result shows is if Labour, the LDs and Greens need to form a progressive alliance in England and Wales, they have every chance of ousting this lousy, corrupt bunch of liars
Fishing season started and my first bite ;)

There's no chance of that happening is there? Really? Labour abandoning their own manifesto and ideals to form an anti-Tory coalition? It maybe the only way they can get elected, but will all those Momentum folks swallow their pride to get an odd assortment elected over which they had no control and policy was down to an inter party squabble? Might happen for one Parliament only to be followed by another 20 years in the wilderness.

Then we have gone back to Whigs versus the Tories.

I see that the LibDems are considering standing aside in Batley to give Labour a better chance of winning - they are currently 6 points behind the Conservatives in the local polls

That’s a huge assumption, assuming the Lib Dem’s would get in to bed with Labour. I don’t think they will. The large far left wing of Labour are a million miles from the Lib Dem’s

What happens with the LibDem vote in Batley will be interesting.

That’s a huge assumption, assuming the Lib Dem’s would get in to bed with Labour. I don’t think they will. The large far left wing of Labour are a million miles from the Lib Dem’s
So you are now an expert in the make up of most CLPs??

I can tell you for a fact that the majority are not ‘far left’.

I think that you’ve been reading the Mail and Express too much.

Genuine question James. How much influence do CLPs have on the overall direction of the Labour party? I thought that it was the overall membership that swayed the NEC ?

No, unlike you I don’t think I’m an expert in everything ?

Unfortunately momentum have a hard grip on CLPs, and they are undoubtedly far left, so I don’t think it’s so cut and dry.

I also read the Guardian and Indy. Do you not keep your news sources a broad spectrum?

Genuine question James. How much influence do CLPs have on the overall direction of the Labour party? I thought that it was the overall membership that swayed the NEC ?
The Labour Party is very much a confederation of which CLPs are part. TBH individual CLPs have little influence on a National basis. As I think you know, Conference is the main policy making body of the party and lots of elements feed into this - including the TUs.

Back