• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Cummings, Johnson and this whole shit show

Status
Not open for further replies.
And who put us in this 'dire position'? The Tory government. No blame elsewhere they have completely screwed up.

Shows you for what you are if you think the only justification for foreign aid is to get plaudits for it. No empathy with the most needy on the planet, you've previously pointed out "charity begins at home" showing your selective view on who deserves it.
Oh so the pandemic was of the UK's making? The billions of £'s spent on the pandemic cannot be spent again and that's the realisation that will bite when this is over. That includes all spending.

With regard to foreign aid - I agree with you its ultimate aim is to benefit those worse off than ourselves. That said how many countries use aid to enhance their "soft powers"? Part of the argument against cutting aid has been that other countries will think less of us for doing so. My argument is that they never thought that well of us in the first place !!

Would be interesting to see if Labour was returned to power would they immediately restore aid to its previous levels - and if so what they would cut to pay for it.

Trouble is James that Alistair Campbell is so badly tarnished by the 2nd referendum campaign and his pro EU rhetoric, anything else he says will be consigned to the bin by many without a second thought - and quite rightly too in my view.

The tactic employed by Campbell and his cohorts to get the referendum result overturned and continually running back to the EU to advise them how to work against the UK government is largely responsible for the mess that is the withdrawal agreement. The MPs that were part of the Parliamentary shambles that existed after the referendum have a lot to answer for. I can never remember another incidence where a UK government in negotiation with foreign powers was so incredibly undermined by activities within our own Parliament.

Add to that his continued defence of a Labour administration that completely screwed up towards the end of its time by trying to rewrite the events of the financial crash and his standing shows no sign of returning to the point it was at the height of his powers.

As for foreign aid - I am not sure if all this supposed good will towards the UK for our largesse in throwing £billions around in overseas aid ever really materialised. It is likely that the people who got the aid were pleased to get it - but did they ever know it came from UK tax payers given we didn't stamp courtesy of the UK on their foreheads or make them read a plaque as per the EU? Seemingly for as long as I can remember the UK has been treated with nothing but contempt, unless of course our media failed to report the unerring gratitude of the recipients - which I doubt.

And a vindictive government? With national debt now 100% of GDP or as close to it as one can get, there will be no room in the immediate future to throw vast sums of money at public spending. There are incredibly tough times coming. If you ever watch the Kaiser report on RT, he has been warning for quite some time that the USA is about to experience a bout of high inflation, with corresponding increases in interest rates. The Fed are keeping a lid on this just now, but there are a number of indices that show that inflation is increasing. Now in the UK the Bank of England has started to warn of higher inflation too. If rates go up then debt repayment will start to swallow up a much greater sum than the £9billion p.a. than it does at the moment and the screws will really start to bite . That's going to be true no matter which party is in power. It also severely limits the additional quantitative easing that can be applied without exacerbating the position with regard to inflation.

So post pandemic there needs to be some realistic (cross party) acceptance of the dire position we will be in and what is really possible going forwards.

“So post pandemic there needs to be some realistic (cross party) acceptance of the dire position we will be in and what is really possible going forwards.”

Agreed. So spending £Bs extra on nuclear warheads that we don’t need should be the first area of planned spending that is cut

Oh so the pandemic was of the UK's making? The billions of £'s spent on the pandemic cannot be spent again and that's the realisation that will bite when this is over. That includes all spending.

With regard to foreign aid - I agree with you its ultimate aim is to benefit those worse off than ourselves. That said how many countries use aid to enhance their "soft powers"? Part of the argument against cutting aid has been that other countries will think less of us for doing so. My argument is that they never thought that well of us in the first place !!

Would be interesting to see if Labour was returned to power would they immediately restore aid to its previous levels - and if so what they would cut to pay for it.
I think James has answered your question.

It's a submarine not a boat isn't it?
Technically a submarine is a ship, but in the navy they are traditionally referred to as boats, and surface vessels as ships, so that boat has indeed already sailed ;)

So, the government doesn’t think that it “would not be in the public interest” to publish this report.

More like that it would not be in the best interests of these bunch of heartless bastards for whom £20 would be loose change…

A few years ago I recall that when it came to immigrants right to stay in the U.K., the Tories used the phrase “If you’ve nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear”.

I can only suspect that, in this instance, they have something in this report that is embarrassing to them ?
Another document that they were only too keen to share with the MSM - but didn’t even bother consulting those who would be responsible for the implementation of the proposals!

Maybe Patel will just try and bully everyone to adopt them….?

Another document that they were only too keen to share with the MSM - but didn’t even bother consulting those who would be responsible for the implementation of the proposals!

Maybe Patel will just try and bully everyone to adopt them….?
Strange how a temporary increase is deemed a "cut" when it is withdrawn. The government is winding back a lot of other pandemic support including furlough, support for business etc

Given we are in the realm of no pay increases for most people, its not unreasonable to stabilise all support until the economy is back on an even keel

Strange how a temporary increase is deemed a "cut" when it is withdrawn. The government is winding back a lot of other pandemic support including furlough, support for business etc

Given we are in the realm of no pay increases for most people, its not unreasonable to stabilise all support until the economy is back on an even keel
“Given we are in the realm of no pay increases for most people…”

Apart from, of course, those Tory cronies who have made a nice wedge by being awarded lucrative contracts from their bessie mates in government without them being subjected to the usual procurement procedures.

Meanwhile, the most vulnerable and poorest in our society face the prospect of having to find another £20 to feed, clothe and house their families.

“Given we are in the realm of no pay increases for most people…”

Apart from, of course, those Tory cronies who have made a nice wedge by being awarded lucrative contracts from their bessie mates in government without them being subjected to the usual procurement procedures.

Meanwhile, the most vulnerable and poorest in our society face the prospect of having to find another £20 to feed, clothe and house their families.

The daily struggle to feed, clothe and house our families is something that nearly all of us have been through. Some have survived the experience with fewer scars than others, but very few have no scars at all.

There will always be people who are better off than others. If you ever want to see what you really can't afford, have a walk down Leigh Road and see how some folks live. I am sure we all try and help and support those around us who are struggling, but festering the green eyed monster does no one any good.

The daily struggle to feed, clothe and house our families is something that nearly all of us have been through. Some have survived the experience with fewer scars than others, but very few have no scars at all.

There will always be people who are better off than others. If you ever want to see what you really can't afford, have a walk down Leigh Road and see how some folks live. I am sure we all try and help and support those around us who are struggling, but festering the green eyed monster does no one any good.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very droll James !

On a more serious note, does make you wonder how we will feed the world in a carbon neutral world
I see that Johnson has been increasing his popularity north of the border again! ?

Tactless isn’t the word. No wonder his nickname among Tory party advisors is ‘The Shopping Trolley’- tends to veer off in the wrong direction with little warning…..

I see that Johnson has been increasing his popularity north of the border again! ?

Tactless isn’t the word. No wonder his nickname among Tory party advisors is ‘The Shopping Trolley’- tends to veer off in the wrong direction with little warning…..
Yep hard to disagree with the Thatcher comment - her motives (I think) were little to do with climate change. That said it would be interesting to know what Labour and the SNP would do now to close pits if they were still open. Hey ho, there not so we won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back