• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Cummings, Johnson and this whole shit show

Status
Not open for further replies.
James, I’ve seen you refer to Boris and the government as Populist a few times now, and I can’t work out why.

Boris Johnson isn't a populist. He's a fairly bog standard social & economic liberal. A bog standard centre right Politician. Don’t mistake the rare sight of a politician with charisma and personality with being populist, because that’s not what populism is. (See Keir Starmer for example of your typical bland social & economic liberal)

The reality is, in the last election, it was Corbyns Labour that were the Populists. Especially in the truest sense of the word, when you look at where the populist movement started with farmers in America in the late 1890s.

The definition of a Populist is - “a person, especially a politician, who strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups.”

I don’t know why it’s bounded around like a dirty word. How dare a politician want to stand for ordinary people.
Ah, you mean established elite like two of the last 3 PMs (both schooled at Eton and members of the Bullingdon club), Gorgeous Gideon Osbourne and his gilded upbringing, Jacob Rees Smugs’ inherited £Ms, ditto ‘Dishy Rishi’. I could go on, but I think that my point is made.

What I can never understand is the
British - or increasingly English - preponderance to be a simpering, unquestioning, obsequious nation that is constantly taken in by the line spun by the establishment that they have the best interests of the majority of people in this country at heart.

The events over the last 11 years since this despicable bunch of chancers, charlatans and crooks took charge clearly proves otherwise.

Ah, you mean established elite like two of the last 3 PMs (both schooled at Eton and members of the Bullingdon club), Gorgeous Gideon Osbourne and his gilded upbringing, Jacob Rees Smugs’ inherited £Ms, ditto ‘Dishy Rishi’. I could go on, but I think that my point is made.

British - or increasingly English - preponderance to be a simpering, unquestioning, obsequious nation that is constantly taken in by the line spun by the establishment that they have the best interests of the majority of people in this country at heart.

The events over the last 11 years since this despicable bunch of chancers, charlatans and crooks took charge clearly proves otherwise.
And you mean to say that Jeremy Corbyn had the best interests of this country at heart - or just his Momentum mates? . A tory majority of 81 says that most people don't agree with you James.

So come on James, which is it?

Are they elites or populist? They can’t be both

And you mean to say that Jeremy Corbyn had the best interests of this country at heart - or just his Momentum mates? . A tory majority of 81 says that most people don't agree with you James.
Corbyn wanted to spend money on schools, hospitals etc. Johnson wants to spend money on effin yachts for the already massively rich and privileged and more nuclear warheads - as if we don’t have enough already to vapourise millions of ordinary, innocent people.

Given your comments, I can only presume that you concur with the purchase of a yacht and more bombs....

I said earlier on the he was the least worst option - and that continues to be the case. Until the country has emerged from this pandemic and we are back into something like normal politics and his popularity declines, the conservative party is unlikely to remove him and so there isn't any other choice.

It's also more likely that if Starmer loses Hartlepool, he will be gone before Boris - and if that happens then Labour really have bigger problems to deal with than unseating Boris Johnson. The Tories will do that in their own time, as they do with every leader of the Conservative Party. Labour would be better off spending this time to the next election putting their own house in order, because they are still not a credible opposition/government in waiting and, when that time comes, given the choice between Boris with all his faults and Starmer and a talentless Labour party, the Tories would win again hands down.

This is from a Labour paper, so it would seem that Labour have already thrown in the towel with respect to winning this by-election.

Clearly Labour's attempts to paint the Tories as more corrupt than them selves is backfiring, as I suggested elsewhere that it would.

For the umpteenth time - Labour need to get out of their trenches, find some talent, develop some policies, show some leadership and start to show the electorate that they can win hearts and minds, win elections and deliver on their agenda. At this rate the next election is lost and maybe the one after that too

So come on James, which is it?

Are they elites or populist? They can’t be both
Do I really have to spell it out?

They come from a privileged, elitist and entitled background. They are taught that it is their right and role to rule us plebs so we don’t get above our station and try to change things for the better for the majority (mainly the less well off and most vulnerable) in our society. They aim maintain the status quo and further enrich their ilk.

But they try to achieve this by pursuing populist agendas - the yacht being a prime example - that make great headlines in the right-wing MSM. And unfortunately they are very good at spinning this yarn time and time again. And it continues to amaze me that many people continue to fall for it...??

So yes, they can be elitist and populist at the same time....

But you knew that anyhow. You were just chucking over a bit of meat for me to chew on ??

Corbyn wanted to spend money on schools, hospitals etc. Johnson wants to spend money on effin yachts for the already massively rich and privileged and more nuclear warheads - as if we don’t have enough already to vapourise millions of ordinary, innocent people.

Given your comments, I can only presume that you concur with the purchase of a yacht and more bombs....
James - Corbyn was unelectable !! It was as blindingly obvious as Michael Foot's donkey jacket !! That's why Labour had its worst result since about 1935 (?). The LIbDems have all but disappeared so there is no real opposition alternative. As a parliamentary democracy we need Labour to up its game and do SOMETHING !!

This is from a Labour paper, so it would seem that Labour have already thrown in the towel with respect to winning this by-election.

Clearly Labour's attempts to paint the Tories as more corrupt than them selves is backfiring, as I suggested elsewhere that it would.

For the umpteenth time - Labour need to get out of their trenches, find some talent, develop some policies, show some leadership and start to show the electorate that they can win hearts and minds, win elections and deliver on their agenda. At this rate the next election is lost and maybe the one after that too
A fair and balanced article. And one that is tough for Labour supporters like me to read.

I listened to Kier on R4 Today programme yesterday and I agree with him that one of his problems since being elected as leader has been a difficulty in getting sufficient exposure. That is in the most part down to the Covid crisis but also the government’s ongoing ineptitude, scandals and cock-ups.

But I do agree with you that as yet the message and vision of what a Kier Starmer led Labour Party stands for and wants to achieve has not been made clear. That worries me and this is a matter that needs to be addressed ASAP if we are to stand a chance of ousting this deplorable bunch of charlatans and liars in 2024

James - Corbyn was unelectable !! It was as blindingly obvious as Michael Foot's donkey jacket !! That's why Labour had its worst result since about 1935 (?). The LIbDems have all but disappeared so there is no real opposition alternative. As a parliamentary democracy we need Labour to up its game and do SOMETHING !!
I was merely making the point about the difference in priorities between Labour and Tory. More bombs to destroy more people, massively expensive playthings for the already massively rich or investment in our shattered public services.....

57% of those who voted did not vote Tory so to say a majority of 81 proves your point is incorrect.

Last edited:
Knutsfordian said ..................And you mean to say that Jeremy Corbyn had the best interests of this country at heart - or just his Momentum mates? . A tory majority of 81 says that most people don't agree with you James.

Phil Bradley said.............................57% of those who voted did not vote Tory so to say a majority of 81 proves your point is incorrect.

Knutsfordian says .............. Given that only 32.1% voted for labour and 67.9% didn't and thereby handed the Tories an 81 seat majority says I am correct ?

Knutsfordian said ..................And you mean to say that Jeremy Corbyn had the best interests of this country at heart - or just his Momentum mates? . A tory majority of 81 says that most people don't agree with you James.

Phil Bradley said.............................57% of those who voted did not vote Tory so to say a majority of 81 proves your point is incorrect.

Knutsfordian says .............. Given that only 32.1% voted for labour and 67.9% didn't and thereby handed the Tories an 81 seat majority says I am correct ?
The current voting system gave the Tory party an 81 seat majority at the expense of other parties.

The current voting system gave the Tory party an 81 seat majority at the expense of other parties.
the Current voting system is the one in place that we all adhere to, but the fact remains that only 32% of people voted labour in 2019 which validates the point I was making that the majority of people did not agree with or vote for Jeremy Corbyn

I was merely making the point about the difference in priorities between Labour and Tory. More bombs to destroy more people, massively expensive playthings for the already massively rich or investment in our shattered public services.....
"And so I am announcing now – on the steps of Downing Street – that we will fix the crisis in social care once and for all, and with a clear plan we have prepared to give every older person the dignity and security they deserve." Boris Johnson, July 2019

More lies, more empty promises

"And so I am announcing now – on the steps of Downing Street – that we will fix the crisis in social care once and for all, and with a clear plan we have prepared to give every older person the dignity and security they deserve." Boris Johnson, July 2019

More lies, more empty promises
Nine words. Just nine words. A decade on since the Dilnutt report and still f**k all done.

Yet many more on approving a move that will potentially disenfranchise millions of people - particularly the poor, women, disabled and ethnic minorities.

So we can now add gerrymandering to lying, corruption and cronyism. ?

Nine words. Just nine words. A decade on since the Dilnutt report and still f**k all done.

Yet many more on approving a move that will potentially disenfranchise millions of people - particularly the poor, women, disabled and ethnic minorities.

My mother in law is 89. She has never driven and therefore has never had a driving licence. She hasn’t been abroad for 20 years and therefore has no passport. She largely relies on her state pension and savings to live.

So how can it be fair that if the Tories get their way and introduce voter ID’s - to solve a problem that just does not exist - that this will prevent many In our society from being able to vote - which is a basic right in a free democracy and one that millions have fought long and hard for.

if this gets through then along with their other proposals - limiting the power of the judiciary, the right of people to protest - then it is just another step to the Tories creating a Police state.

And you may scoff at this Knutsfordian. But history often tells us a great deal about the present day.

My mother in law is 89. She has never driven and therefore has never had a driving licence. She hasn’t been abroad for 20 years and therefore has no passport. She largely relies on her state pension and savings to live.

So how can it be fair that if the Tories get their way and introduce voter ID’s - to solve a problem that just does not exist - that this will prevent many In our society from being able to vote - which is a basic right in a free democracy and one that millions have fought long and hard for.

if this gets through then along with their other proposals - limiting the power of the judiciary, the right of people to protest - then it is just another step to the Tories creating a Police state.

And you may scoff at this Knutsfordian. But history often tells us a great deal about the present day.
So much for ‘Levelling Up’ across all areas.??

1620776529267.png

As ever the case, I don't think that rectifying social care is going to be as easy as it seems on the face of it. Any plan that involved pumping vast amounts of money into Social Care without raising taxes has been blown asunder by promises not to raise taxes and a pandemic level of borrowing that cannot be sustained. However it is done, it will need to be a solution that all parties buy into, because there would be nothing worse than implementing something this parliament and dismantling in the next. I think the plan may be to prepare for something that comes fully in to being in say 5 years time through a period of reorganisation and restructure of care services. The amounts of money are vast - almost as much as the NHS itself, I suspect and the bottom line is someone will have to pay. Increases in inheritance tax anyone?

Personally I think we should have compulsory ID cards. Problems solved on lots of issues. I know there are those who fight against it on all sorts of reasons - primarily discrimination over human rights and state interference. However if we want lots of areas of government to be more secure, I think it is the answer. AS for just for voting, I can see that it will be fraught with danger and difficulty. I don't think any understand the scale of voter fraud and therefore how this would tackle it.

Then we go straight into the old Labour attack line of gerrymandering, lying, corruption et al. Tiresome nonsense. If there is any gerrymandering going on its the SNP who are trying to rig the voting for any possible future Indy referendum. Labour needs to get its head from up its jacksie and understand the real threats to its future government opportunities - starting with winning back Scotland. Boris isn't the enemy here - Sturgeon and Backford are.

Do you know what other countries require ID to vote? Well quite a few. But I’m not sure they’re the police states you claim them to be:

Spain
•France
•Malta
•Belgium
•Mexico
•India
•Canada
•The Republic of Ireland
•Northern Ireland
•The Netherlands
•Norway
•Switzerland
•Sweden
•The birthplace of democracy, Greece
•Argentina
•Germany
•Israel
•Nigeria
•Sierra Leone
•Liberia
•And a countless list of other democracies.

If you’re ok with someone having to show a vaccine passport to have basic freedoms, you can’t then shout down the idea that someone needs to a free ID to vote.

Why are the left so against stopping voter fraud? Just look at tower hamlets.

Do you know what other countries require ID to vote? Well quite a few. But I’m not sure they’re the police states you claim them to be:

Spain
•France
•Malta
•Belgium
•Mexico
•India
•Canada
•The Republic of Ireland
•Northern Ireland
•The Netherlands
•Norway
•Switzerland
•Sweden
•The birthplace of democracy, Greece
•Argentina
•Germany
•Israel
•Nigeria
•Sierra Leone
•Liberia
•And a countless list of other democracies.

If you’re ok with someone having to show a vaccine passport to have basic freedoms, you can’t then shout down the idea that someone needs to a free ID to vote.

Why are the left so against stopping voter fraud? Just look at tower hamlets.
Oh, Tower Hamlets. I thought that you would bring this up. So we need to bring on legislation that will affect millions due to one small, limited example? How much voter fraud occurred in the 2019 GE - almost zip. Nil. Diddly-squat.

No-one - including me - is against stamping out electoral fraud. But in its current form, the legislation would be massively discriminatory. Due to my epilepsy I can’t drive and therefore I don’t have a driving licence. My passport (the nice claret coloured EU type!?) is due to expire in the next year and again due to my epilepsy I’m unlikely to go abroad any time soon. So without either of these, and through no fault bog my own, I’d be disbarred from voting.

So, similarly to my Mother in Law, how can that be fair and equitable?

And yes, other countries require people to provide IDs. But lots of countries also drive on the right side of the road. Maybe we should change that too eh? ? Or maybe we shouldn’t opt to follow the example of those Johnny Forriners and retain a proper British ?? ?? tradition? I mean, we’ve “just got Brexit done”, so why do we need to change?

And as for Covid passports, you may be surprised to find out that I’m not supportive. But I can see some businesses requiring proof that you’ve had your jabs (although they would potentially limit their customer base)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back