• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Cummings, Johnson and this whole shit show

Status
Not open for further replies.
A union flag flying above a United Kingdom government building? Not really something worth being outraged about, James.

Flags flying from government buildings is standard practice all across the world. It’s not fascist.

Only on this country do we have this strange hatred from a minority for a flag. It’s really quite cringeworthy.
I don’t hate’ the Union Flag as you suggest. Prior to Covid I was mostly ambivalent to it.

What pisses me off his that it has been hijacked by the Tories as a sign of patriotism and jingoism. And we are now being compelled to fly it on all public buildings! Really?

So all Job Centres, Leisure Centres, schools, hospitals, libraries, council buildings etc etc? That’s a hell of a lot of flags!

It’s not as if we don’t have a few more important things to deal with at present..

I don’t hate’ the Union Flag as you suggest. Prior to Covid I was mostly ambivalent to it.

What pisses me off his that it has been hijacked by the Tories as a sign of patriotism and jingoism. And we are now being compelled to fly it on all public buildings! Really?

So all Job Centres, Leisure Centres, schools, hospitals, libraries, council buildings etc etc? That’s a hell of a lot of flags!

It’s not as if we don’t have a few more important things to deal with at present..
I hear that Matt Hancock’s mate who runs his local boozer has been awarded a multi-million £ contract to supply Union Flags for the government! ?

And in other news, all schools and public servants are going to be required to sing the National Anthem at the start of each day! ?

You’re shouting at a flag.

A flag is not a sign of “jingoism”. A flag belongs to everyone in a nation, regardless of who they are, their heritage or ethnicity. In every country in the world, a flag is something that unites people, It’s a shared identit.

It just seems to be this country that a minority on the left have tried to use it as a way to divide.

You’re shouting at a flag.

A flag is not a sign of “jingoism”. A flag belongs to everyone in a nation, regardless of who they are, their heritage or ethnicity. In every country in the world, a flag is something that unites people.

It just seems to be this country that a minority on the left have tried to use it as a way to divide.
The ironic thing is Andy that the way that this truly awful government have used it over the past year has actually resulted in the country becoming more divided rather than united.

And good luck to them enforcing this requirement in Wales ??????? or Scotland ???????

I don't think the politicians have hijacked the union flag as much as the protest groups that have disparaged it. There is growing feeling that there is relentless pressure that we should be, and are being made to be, ashamed about our heritage and who we are. That's nonsense. Yes we have made mistakes and there have been some pretty hefty failures, but taking things in the round the UK has been more of a force for good, than not.

That said it's about time we picked our chins up off the floor and started to be the country we want to be, rather than what others would make us believe we are. If that means flying the flag a bit more, so be it.

It’s a small minority on the left, like you, who have decided that the flag is a sign of Fascism.

Like all national flags, it should be a sign of unity, a shared Identity that brings all sectors of society together.

The minority should stop their hate and division trying to make out that it’s something different.

The left forget, that Labours greatest Prime Minister Clement Attlee, was a patriot. This certainly played a part in the formation of the welfare state

Last edited:
Wasn't it Tony Blair who altered the rules on flying flags on Govt buildings to allow them?

If politicians want a flag & a picture of the Queen behind them so that's fine with me.

It becomes an issue when you get the likes of James Wild attacking the BBC for not having flags in their annual report.
What is that all about?

Wasn't it Tony Blair who altered the rules on flying flags on Govt buildings to allow them?

If politicians want a flag & a picture of the Queen behind them so that's fine with me.

It becomes an issue when you get the likes of James Wild attacking the BBC for not having flags in their annual report.
What is that all about?
But by all accounts and strangely enough, there wasn’t one to be seen in the entire 2019 Tory party manifesto. ?

Again it would appear to be one rule for the elitist, posh Tories and another for other organisations-such as the biased and woke BBC! ?

It’s a small minority on the left, like you, who have decided that the flag is a sign of Fascism.

Like all national flags, it should be a sign of unity, a shared Identity that brings all sectors of society together.

The minority should stop their hate and division trying to make out that it’s something different.

The left forget, that Labours greatest Prime Minister Clement Attlee, was a patriot. This certainly played a part in the formation of the welfare state
I don’t think that we on the left need reminding who in the Labour Party are / were patriots. For instance future ministers such as Dennis Healy fought with great distinction in WWII.

Unfortunately what we have now is a bunch of faux patriots who think that they can put up a couple of flags, a pic of Brenda and hey presto they become Churchill incarnate!

Strange thing is I don't really remember there being any doubt or question about patriots in either Labour or Conservatives until recent years. There were questions about Michael Foot as Labour Leader (as there was about Corbyn) in relation to whether he would ever hold the nuclear keys, but no one said he was unpatriotic that I can remember.

For me the greatest worry is that everyone not in (say) the Momentum club is being dubbed a facist, nazi etc. It is not true. The vast majority of people in this country agree about more than they disagree. They are ordinary, hardworking people who pay their dues. All the talk of "far" right is nonsense. We all want a democratic elected government. We all want independent press and media. We all want freedom of speech and universal education, Unfettered internet etc. No one believes in authoritarian government with unelected national leaders

Flying the flag should be a natural part of what we do - and to be fair I haven't heard many objections when the EU wanted to fly their flag or put their sticker on everything they owned, sponsored or put up the money for, so what's the difference? No longer in the EU, but not allowed to say what we do or put our own marker down?

Unfortunately what we have now is a bunch of faux patriots who think that they can put up a couple of flags, a pic of Brenda and hey presto they become Churchill incarnate!

That’s not what anyone thinks, other than you it seems

That’s not what anyone thinks, other than you it seems
Strange thing is I don't really remember there being any doubt or question about patriots in either Labour or Conservatives until recent years. There were questions about Michael Foot as Labour Leader (as there was about Corbyn) in relation to whether he would ever hold the nuclear keys, but no one said he was unpatriotic that I can remember.

For me the greatest worry is that everyone not in (say) the Momentum club is being dubbed a facist, nazi etc. It is not true. The vast majority of people in this country agree about more than they disagree. They are ordinary, hardworking people who pay their dues. All the talk of "far" right is nonsense. We all want a democratic elected government. We all want independent press and media. We all want freedom of speech and universal education, Unfettered internet etc. No one believes in authoritarian government with unelected national leaders

Flying the flag should be a natural part of what we do - and to be fair I haven't heard many objections when the EU wanted to fly their flag or put their sticker on everything they owned, sponsored or put up the money for, so what's the difference? No longer in the EU, but not allowed to say what we do or put our own marker down?
And the opposite it is also true in that those who don’t wave the flag or have a picture of Brenda on the wall are accused of being woke and unpatriotic☹️?

Hmmm. Yes the likes of Swayne, Baker, Francois, Chope, Davis, IDS, Rees-Smug, the idiot from Shrewsbury et al are all wonderful people aren’t they?
I see that the loonies in the Tory party have been in full flow over the last 24 hours or so. Swayne raging at all and sundry in the HoC, the bat-shit crazy, milk wielding idiot and Vicky Ford taking credit for what Marcus Rashford did to raise the profile of chid hunger.

I see that the loonies in the Tory party have been in full flow over the last 24 hours or so. Swayne raging at all and sundry in the HoC, the bat-shit crazy, milk wielding idiot and Vicky Ford taking credit for what Marcus Rashford did to raise the profile of chid hunger.
I’m looking forward to Andy walking into Townfield next season with a pint of semi-skimmed in one pocket and a carton of long-life in the other! ??

I’m looking forward to Andy walking into Townfield next season with a pint of semi-skimmed in one pocket and a carton of long-life in the other! ??

Well after the Lib Dem’s being the only party to vote against extending the Covid Act, ill be voting for them in May. So I suppose that will mean I’ll have to walk in to Towenfield wearing socks and sandal now

Well after the Lib Dem’s being the only party to vote against extending the Covid Act, ill be voting for them in May. So I suppose that will mean I’ll have to walk in to Towenfield wearing socks and sandal now
And no more Berties pies either! Time for some WD&C delicious quinoa and lentils bakes for you! ??????

And no more Berties pies either! Time for some WD&C delicious quinoa and lentils bakes for you! ??????

Sad Season 9 GIF by The Office

Oh, and let’s not forget that nice Priti Patel...

I don't think the politicians have hijacked the union flag as much as the protest groups that have disparaged it. There is growing feeling that there is relentless pressure that we should be, and are being made to be, ashamed about our heritage and who we are. That's nonsense. Yes we have made mistakes and there have been some pretty hefty failures, but taking things in the round the UK has been more of a force for good, than not.

That said it's about time we picked our chins up off the floor and started to be the country we want to be, rather than what others would make us believe we are. If that means flying the flag a bit more, so be it.
How about flying the flag over food banks aswell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back