• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Cummings, Johnson and this whole shit show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comment from Ben was 20th November and Starmer seemed to be at the top of his game giving Boris a hard time in PM questions. Barely 3 months later and Labour left are now asking whether Starmer is up to the job with some pretty fierce dissent over both Brexit and Covid. Put that alongside some half hitched review about how to win over the "red wall" seats and there's plenty of gaps appearing in both Labour policies and the ranks.

The fight for seats north of the border, which also should be one of Starmer's top priorities, isn't being lead by Starmer but by Andrew Neil, George Galloway and the Tories who are at last taking the fight to the Wee Krankie and the SNP to dismantle the case for independence (and , off topic I know, but when will somebody call out that Scotland should have another referendum before even contemplating going back into the EU rather than let the SNP just assume that Scotland will re-join the EU)

So who else on the Labour front bench has got what it takes to lead the Labour party, because otherwise it looks like the next election might already be lost.
I think it’s too early to say now. There’s a long time until the next election. I still think Starmer is more than capable and I can’t see anyone who’d do a better job.

Johnson is seeing a bit of an upturn in support due to the successful vaccination programme.

I think it’s too early to say now. There’s a long time until the next election. I still think Starmer is more than capable and I can’t see anyone who’d do a better job.

Johnson is seeing a bit of an upturn in support due to the successful vaccination programme.
Definitely agree with your second point, but not sure Starmer is your man

And now we’ve got Shapps (if that is his name this week) demonstrating his utter stupidity by saying that the U.K. can’t introduce border restrictions like Australia because “we are an island and they are a continent”.
That is up there with Raab’s observation that he didn’t realise how much U.K. / EU trade depended on the port of Dover!
It really does make me wonder what level of rigour the Tory party places on selecting its candidates when we end up with a shower such as Truss, Zahawi, Patel, Gove, Johnson, Jenrick et-al.
Thankfully we do have people in this country who have a heart and try to put others ahead of their own interests.

Step forward Lou Macari

Thankfully we do have people in this country who have a heart and try to put others ahead of their own interests.

Step forward Lou Macari

I do have time for Lou Macari - really decent chap and came across superbly in the programme about Port Vale (Marvellous ?). I also worked with a family member up in Edinburgh - really hard working and likeable in every sense.

Leave means Leave

“The virus is here to stay, much though I’ve tried to believe it isn’t. I almost persuaded myself, last year, that Covid would retreat, vampire-like in the summer sun. But it didn’t. Instead it became clear that in Britain, for whatever demographic or geographic reason, letting the virus off its leash means looking like Lombardy last March: devastation for the elderly; thousands dead who could have been saved; hospitals over-run and unavailable.”

And who penned these words in the latest edition of The Spectator?

None other than the wife of a former SPAD to our great leader
View attachment 2070

................ and Starmer's major speech this week barely rates a mention in the weekend press just days after it's delivered and the best that Labour can do is send out Lammy to rant about the failure of government to disclose contract details when it was focussed on trying to sort out PPE issues in the middle of a pandemic - which is way down the news list after vaccines and Harry and Meghan !!

So on every level Labour isn't cutting it. They can't get any purchase over Brexit, tide is turning on the pandemic and people are increasingly positive about the government's actions and vaccination programme, no new ideas about taking the economy forward (the pandemic bond is something that's been mentioned before), nothing to win back the red wall seats other than a half cocked fly the flag campaign (which is bit laughable considering the battering given out by Remainers on here regarding nationalist Brexiteers - many of whom live in red wall seats !!) and a complete failure to take on the SNP and the potty economics which should really be a free hit for Labour.

So the question is - where do Labour go from here? Is Starmer still the man?

I see nobody waiting in the wings to take over him.
I agree Ben. Labour is short of a really charismatic leader who can galvanise the party. I think they need to start looking far and wide within the Labour movement, parachute them into Parliament in a safe seat by election and then start to fast track that person through the ranks. Whatever they do, there needs to be some different thinking.

Reactions: Ben
Just listened to Kier Starmer on LBC radio. I didn't agree with everything he said (no surprise there), and he came across as a steady performer and a safe pair of hands - and I think that's the rub. I could see him as the Attorney General or even chancellor, but he needs to find something to elevate him above the ordinary.

Boris has already captured the "Build Back Better" slogan that rather cuts away at Starmer's future vision, so not sure that's going to give him the leverage he needs. (oh and by the way he thinks Hancock shouldn't resign over the court case last week)

Just listened to Kier Starmer on LBC radio. I didn't agree with everything he said (no surprise there), and he came across as a steady performer and a safe pair of hands - and I think that's the rub. I could see him as the Attorney General or even chancellor, but he needs to find something to elevate him above the ordinary.

Boris has already captured the "Build Back Better" slogan that rather cuts away at Starmer's future vision, so not sure that's going to give him the leverage he needs. (oh and by the way he thinks Hancock shouldn't resign over the court case last week)
I see that Boris has been lying to the HoP (again).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Problem is that it has happened so often now that no one bats an eyelid.

I see that Boris has been lying to the HoP (again).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Problem is that it has happened so often now that no one bats an eyelid.

I think there is a play on words here. During Brexit the UK medicines agency were mirroring the EU rules and regulations, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they operated in exactly the same way. Hence the approval of vaccines was given within the rules in the UK way in front of the EU and allowed the UK vaccination programme to leap ahead of the EU equivalent. So its also true to say that if we had been bound by the EMA rules (as we had been in the EU) then we could not have started the vaccination programme without their approval and that arrived later than the UK approval.

I think there is a play on words here. During Brexit the UK medicines agency were mirroring the EU rules and regulations, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they operated in exactly the same way. Hence the approval of vaccines was given within the rules in the UK way in front of the EU and allowed the UK vaccination programme to leap ahead of the EU equivalent. So its also true to say that if we had been bound by the EMA rules (as we had been in the EU) then we could not have started the vaccination programme without their approval and that arrived later than the UK approval.
That might be your interpretation, but our beloved leader does have a bit of form in this respect.

And I wouldn’t describe Peter Oborne as being from the looney left.....

That might be your interpretation, but our beloved leader does have a bit of form in this respect.

And I wouldn’t describe Peter Oborne as being from the looney left.....
Mmmmm that's debateable

Debatable????

FFS how much evidence do you need before you accept that he is an inveterate liar?

He won’t even admit to how many kids he’s got!
Another member of the looney left commenting on Johnson’s propensity to tell whopping big porky-pies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back