• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Cummings, Johnson and this whole shit show

Status
Not open for further replies.
With interest rates as low as they are that's probably sensible (or at least the most palatable option of the three unsavoury ones available to him). I'm sure back when the South Sea Bubble burst and our forefathers started off a National Debt they didn't imagine we'd still be servicing it over 300 years later. The key is to maintain an economy which will service it without extra pain. Whether that will be achieved only time will tell, but there wasn't much left to cut in terms of austerity measures (though public sector workers won't see it as 'no signs of austerity' either), and I can't see any Tory govt grasping the nettle of tax avoidance/evasion or finding ways of making tax rises palatable to their base.

But promising huge swathes of money for XYZ isn't the same as actually delivering XYZ. As we've seen already.

my moral compass has served me very well over the years thank you !
That may well be so. But it appears not to be the case for this rancid government who less than 12 months after making it a pledge in their manifesto have chosen to reduce the foreign aid budget.

So much for their boast that post Brexshit the U.K. will be an outward looking nation who will look to make the most of being released from the chains of Brussels.....

That may well be so. But it appears not to be the case for this rancid government who less than 12 months after making it a pledge in their manifesto have chosen to reduce the foreign aid budget.

So much for their boast that post Brexshit the U.K. will be an outward looking nation who will look to make the most of being released from the chains of Brussels.....
To be honest James, there will be millions of people who have been campaigning for years for a chunk of the aid budget to be spent at home who will agree with this measure. At a time when tax receipts are on the floor I can understand why it has been done. We still give away more money than just about every other country and I think given the virus most will understand both home and abroad. Its a real dilemma.

To be honest James, there will be millions of people who have been campaigning for years for a chunk of the aid budget to be spent at home who will agree with this measure. At a time when tax receipts are on the floor I can understand why it has been done. We still give away more money than just about every other country and I think given the virus most will understand both home and abroad. Its a real dilemma.
I might agree with you on this
Knutsfordian - if it could be guaranteed that the money that is to be cut from the aid budget would be spent on improving the life of the poorest and most disadvantaged citizens in this country then I might agree with you. But as we’ve seen on countless occasions before, that will simply not happen. The minute increases in the minimum wage announced this week shows that. And in the early part of the 21st century we’ve got families living in converted shopping containers, kids going hungry.

I don't think I would agree that its self inflicted with regard to Covid. I am still of a view that no other party or government would have fared much differently. Brexit, probably could have been easier solved if we had stayed in the single market et al - but in my view that's not Brexit and in some ways would have been the worst of all worlds. A hard Brexit might end up being painful, but worth in the long term.

If fish is such an inconsequential industry, why don't the EU just capitulate and give us back what is ours?
Still of the view that no-one could have done better than Johnson and his cabal? I’d suggest that the families and friends of 100,000 people who are no longer with us would beg to disagree.

Still of the view that no-one could have done better than Johnson and his cabal? I’d suggest that the families and friends of 100,000 people who are no longer with us would beg to disagree.
“perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease, as it were, to move through the population, without taking as many draconian measures.”
Boris Johnson, Thursday 5th March 2020.

A absolute damning indictment of the last decade of Tory misrule. Covid has brutally exposed this. ?

Nearly 60% of Britain's total official COVID-19 deaths have taken place since 21st September, when SAGE urged the government to take drastic action to prevent a "very large epidemic with catastrophic consequences".

Their advice was ignored.

This followed the early relaxing of restrictions across the U.K. when cases were still high in areas such as NW England and the Eat Out to help kill a few more people’ initiative.

We are truly blessed to be lead by such a government with an absolute genius at its head.

We are truly blessed to be lead by such a government with an absolute genius at its head.

I was going to make a crack at this last point - but the deaths of 100,000 people is nothing to joke about. My honest view is that no government would deliberately make choices that increased the death toll. Professor Ferguson and another Sage participant recently gave insights (on radio and TV) to Sage advice that pretty well exonerated the government in respect of some of the accusations that have been made. The government has made little attempt to defend itself against these accusations, just pushed back as they did today by saying there will be an inquiry at some point. There is nothing to be achieved by this constant harassment of politicians or senior figures. All it's doing is creating newspaper column inches and air time on news channels - but none of it moves us forwards or does anything to improve morale. I think a lot of folks now just turn of the TV and put their fingers in their ears.

“perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease, as it were, to move through the population, without taking as many draconian measures.”
Boris Johnson, Thursday 5th March 2020.
And now we come to the unhinged, right-wing arm of the Tory party. I gives me huge pleasure to bring you the musings of Sir Desmond Swayne!

The Tory Party, a collection of right-wing freaks and weirdos held together by their greed and love of money and contempt for "ordinary" people.
And their absolute aim of self interest and maintaining an elite autocracy to rule the U.K, thereby perpetuating centuries of deference and subservience to these privileged, arrogant Toffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back