• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Cummings, Johnson and this whole shit show

Status
Not open for further replies.
The outrage should apply across the board in all situations regardless of the individual or their position. That's why they are called "standards". Excusing any bullying behaviour = condoning bullying = tactily encouraging others to follow suit.
Seeking to reduce it with terms like "unintentional" and non-apologies like "I'm sorry if my behaviour upset you" are tantamount to victim-blaming.

But then Patel has form on this ...
The Art of the Non-Apology:

Sorry Alan I disagree with you. There are shades of grey in all behaviours and its impossible to deal with everything in terms of completely right or wrong. Absolutely unmitigated bullying is wrong. No doubts or fears about that whatsoever, but but when people are behaving badly to draw a reaction, get that reaction and then after the event complain - sorry they should have been sacked, not Patel

Aah well Ben if life were that easy

In a generation where being bullied at school was the norm, getting hammered was taking a beating walking across Danefields, sorting out scores on a rugby pitch was common , and being tied up and left down the end of the school grounds to miss lessons was not out of bounds, current levels of bullying are nothing new.

Obvious bullying is easy to deal with, but there are shades of grey. in senior jobs taking flack is the norm and dealing with angry execs is par for the course. Its not bullying, its life. if you can't handle yourself then its not the job for you. There are too many senior civil servants who cant handle the hassle and they need to be moved on
Old Wittonian by any chance?

“Without a moral compass, the human mind will justify anything.”

Not sure where that originates but it seems fitting.

amo amas amat amamus amatis amant
By the time I came to ‘study’ Latin at SJD it had been re-branded as ‘Roman Studies’.
Mr Marshall will be aghast at this, but this was the only year I studied two languages (German being the other) and a year after I gave up French.
Metalwork, Woodwork, Tech Drawing were much, much more fun and didn’t involve sitting in dusty old classrooms trying to make sense out of languages that had male, female and neutral nouns. After all, the Queens English didn’t have such complications!

By the time I came to ‘study’ Latin at SJD it had been re-branded as ‘Roman Studies’.
Mr Marshall will be aghast at this, but this was the only year I studied two languages (German being the other) and a year after I gave up French.
Metalwork, Woodwork, Tech Drawing were much, much more fun and didn’t involve sitting in dusty old classrooms trying to make sense out of languages that had male, female and neutral nouns. After all, the Queens English didn’t have such complications!
Oh my is that what they were ! Not sure how I ever passed my Latin, French and German O levels and I'm sure Mr Marshall is still aghast at my attempts at German lol :)

Can not compete with you Knutsfortian only know two languages English and swearing.But one thing I did learn was to stick up to bullying and people who are the victim's of it.

I have pretty much managed to blank out all 7 years I was there !!
My time at SJD was 90% very good. Some rubbish teachers (including a few bullies) but also many really good ones like ‘Jock’ Sumner, Pete Illingworth, Sammy Hatton, Joe Curzon, Charlie Williams and many more. Even Phil Bartlett - who I loathed as my Physics teacher in the 5th year - turned out to be a great bloke when he became my form teacher in the 6th Form. The vast majority of my close friends are mostly all former schoolmates and I even met the missus at SJD. And what a place it was for tales and escapades. And great nicknames for the teachers! Ivor ‘Dick-fingers’ Lees was one of my favourites, but ‘Itchy Bails’, ‘Bog Rowell’ and ‘Jelly Belly’ - the rather rotund Latin teacher whose name escapes me - were most memorable.

I once broke Jock Sumner's glasses playing hockey ...

Meanwhile, back on thread...

So Sunak is going for bust with spending on the up and no signs of austerity measures any time soon, so looks like there will be nothing left in the kitty come the next election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back