• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Cummings, Johnson and this whole shit show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Innocent Iraqi children disagree
As do innocent Libyan, Syrian and Kurdish children.

But hey-ho, let’s not make this an issue about probity, honesty and integrity shall we eh? ?

The last Labour government weren’t perfect - which administration has been? - but as I’ve said earlier, in all my life as an adult I have never come across such a truly dreadful, arrogant, deceitful, corrupt, elitist and uncaring bunch of contemptuous clowns as this current shower

But hey-ho, let’s not make this an issue about probity, honesty and integrity shall we eh? ?

The last Labour government weren’t perfect - which administration has been? - but as I’ve said earlier, in all my life as an adult I have never come across such a truly dreadful, arrogant, deceitful, corrupt, elitist and uncaring bunch of contemptuous clowns as this current shower

This is what true leadership looks ?. A country mile away from what we have on the U.K. ??

This is what real leadership looks like. A country mile away from what we have in the UK

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Indeed, the money did ‘run out’. Due to a catastrophic collapse in the global financial system thanks mainly to US banks lending $Ms to Cletus and Pollyanna who hadn’t the wherewithal to repay what that they had borrowed.

I could well have missed it, but I can’t recall Posh Dave or Gideon calling for greater regulation and control over financial services when Labour were in power??
So a catastrophic event can be used to justify a Labour government's shortcomings but not to excuse a Conservative government's struggles to overcome an even bigger event that affects the health of the whole world?

This is what true leadership looks ?. A country mile away from what we have on the U.K. ??

This is what real leadership looks like. A country mile away from what we have in the UK

Is this real leadership too?

Is this real leadership too?

The trouble is the UK media have held her up as a paragon and to provide a negative comparator to the UK government, but as ever the case reality is not what it seems.

I have noted umpteen times that mistakes have been made in the UK, but taking things in the round the outcome may not be as bad as some would think (or even wish to be) so that they can incessantly berate the government.

More Johnson lies

'I left the finances of TFL in robust good order' -Boris Johnson

Hang on

'A TfL report published a month before Boris Johnson left (as London mayor) office showed TfL had £9.148bn of debt' - BBC

More Johnson lies

Hang on

'A TfL report published a month before Boris Johnson left (as London mayor) office showed TfL had £9.148bn of debt' - BBC
If I were Prime Minister, I'd make truth sexy again. I'd make decency sexy. Kindness. Honesty. Public service. All the square, boring sh*t. We should prize that stuff. Justice. Fairness. That's what Britishness should be. You want to raise a flag? Raise a flag to that.

And I’ll raise a glass to you Dominic Minghella! ?

More Johnson lies

Hang on

More Tory lies, cronyism and corruption???

More Tory lies, cronyism and corruption???

No mention of a certain Unite union official spending nigh on £100m of members money with a couple of his Liverpool mates then?

No mention of a certain Unite union official spending nigh on £100m of members money with a couple of his Liverpool mates then?
That is wrong and I have previously stated by concerns and misgivings re McCluskey. This doesn’t make it right - indeed any corruption is absolutely abhorrent and disgraceful - but unlike the £Bs spaffed by Johnson and his cabal, in the example you cite it is not public money that is at stake.

You really think so James?

So when was the last government that had to deal with a pandemic? It has become the norm for Labour to bang on about government failures and shortcomings - but the reality is now that We are self sufficient in PPE and the Testing systems are the best in Europe. The vaccination programme is amongst the best in the world and a whole new vaccination industry is being built to make us self sufficient and outside the influences of the rabid EU. Brexit has been delivered and we are out of the EU as promised, the pound is raising, house prices are stable, the FTSE hasn't collapsed and all the trade deals which folks said won't happen are in place.

All this under the microscope of 24 hour news, where every move and action is relentlessly pulled apart. What other government has had to operate under such conditions.

As Andy highlights, the last Blair government completely blew its legacy with taking us into unnecessary wars, with all the inordinate expense and loss of life that entailed.

I think the left are facing a real dilemma. They have now invested so much time and effort into creating the plethora of noise to denounce the government on every level, that people have stopped listening. What people see is a government that is working to get us out of the pandemic, has worked to deliver a world class vaccination programme, has overcome PPE and test issues, has supported millions of people through furlough and business support, has delivered Brexit whilst making the EU look ****s, has stayed calm under pressure and provided a steady hand - and is moving further away in the polls.

If you really want people to take the left seriously, you need to play a new record that goes beyond inciting those who already believe the message and would have elected Corbyn. The reality is that most people are sick of the same old stuff, wherever everyone right of centre is branded a liar and miscreant. That's not what people are seeing with their own eyes and ranting about Boris getting his leg over isn't going to win the next election for Labour.
This is the new record that I think needs to be played. ?

That is wrong and I have previously stated by concerns and misgivings re McCluskey. This doesn’t make it right - indeed any corruption is absolutely abhorrent and disgraceful - but unlike the £Bs spaffed by Johnson and his cabal, in the example you cite it is not public money that is at stake.
What it shows is that in every walk of life there are people who make poor decisions, not always motivated by greed or corruption, but not in the best interests of members, shareholders, electorate or employees none the less. Fortunately such instances are comparatively rare across all walks of life and generally speaking there are few cases of misfeasance or misconduct in public office in this country. I know you would like it to be thought that most of this government is corrupt, but I don't believe that is the case. No doubt in the fullness of time there will be investigations into how Pandemic money was spent and by whom, but in the mean time our public servants should be given the benefit of the doubt based on past records.

This is the new record that I think needs to be played. ?

Sorry James that's just s single track from the LP you have had on repeat for years written by a bitter Remainer who still hasn't got his head around the fact that Brexit does not equal Nationalism. Nor does his letter speak to the millions of Labour voters in "red wall" seats who have deserted the party in droves. If you think this drivel will see Labour climb the polls, I think your sadly mistaken. The one truth in this letter is that Labour needs to reset the political landscape if it is ever going to come back to power. To do that it needs to win back Scotland from the SNP. When it finally wakes up to that reality, it may be in with a chance

The more I read the above, the more sounds like a throw back to 1981, when David Owen and three other senior moderate Labour politicians – Roy Jenkins, Bill Rodgers and Shirley Williams – announced their intention to break away from the Labour Party to form a "Council for Social Democracy" that later morphed into the LibDems and look what a non event that has been for 40 years !! This branding of the Conservatives as a fascist like organisation is absolute tosh and the vast majority of people in this country will see the Conservatives as a centrist party, supporting families through this pandemic and looking to get us out of the other side.

If Labour really want to make a difference then the first thing they need to do is find some talent. Then develop policies and businesses that will change the fabric of what we are as a country and on which they can then build platforms to improve wages, eradicate poverty and so on. It needs real vision and practical actions that people can see the benefit of, instead of grand gestures and theories that are quickly consigned to the bin.

Learn the lessons from history by all means, but don't turn the clock back !

The more I read the above, the more sounds like a throw back to 1981, when David Owen and three other senior moderate Labour politicians – Roy Jenkins, Bill Rodgers and Shirley Williams – announced their intention to break away from the Labour Party to form a "Council for Social Democracy" that later morphed into the LibDems and look what a non event that has been for 40 years !! This branding of the Conservatives as a fascist like organisation is absolute tosh and the vast majority of people in this country will see the Conservatives as a centrist party, supporting families through this pandemic and looking to get us out of the other side.

If Labour really want to make a difference then the first thing they need to do is find some talent. Then develop policies and businesses that will change the fabric of what we are as a country and on which they can then build platforms to improve wages, eradicate poverty and so on. It needs real vision and practical actions that people can see the benefit of, instead of grand gestures and theories that are quickly consigned to the bin.

Learn the lessons from history by all means, but don't turn the clock back !
Labour find some talent?

Dear God almighty. Are you suggesting for one moment that the current administration is a galaxy of talent?

Labour find some talent?

Dear God almighty. Are you suggesting for one moment that the current administration is a galaxy of talent?
James - Labour haven't won a GE since 2005!! You can say what you like about the calibre of this government and its ministers and MPs - but they are winning elections time and again. Even now Labour are about 8 points behind in the polls and Boris's approval rate is mid 50's % compared to Keir Starmer at around 35%. There's a long way to go to the next election, but the the bounce that Labour enjoyed when Starmer was elected as Leader has gone already. If the country gets back on its feet after the pandemic and the economy picks up, Labour are not going to win the next election either - and you think Labour has the talent it needs ????

I am not a Labour member (as you may well have guessed) but at what point are the members going to start and push for a a party that is capable of being a government (because this one isn't) and becomes an opposition that stops "just" opposing and trotting out the same predictable diatribe, but offers realistic alternatives to every day issues.

Knutsfordian is right about Labours worrying lack of talent.

You can dislike Rishi Sunak, but he looks like a future Prime Minister. There’s no one in the Labour Party that you can look and at realistically see them as a Prime Minister.

Corbyn maybe gone, but his legacy hasn’t, the younger MPs coming through, labours future, are just totally abysmal. You look at the likes of Nadia Whittome, Zara Sultana, Richard Burgon and so on, and there’s nothing there than appeals to Labours old red wall voters.

When you read their tweets, it’s like a 16 year old after a week of AS level politics. So disconnected to what people in the real world are actually concerned about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back