• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Cummings, Johnson and this whole shit show

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Given we are in the realm of no pay increases for most people…”

Apart from, of course, those Tory cronies who have made a nice wedge by being awarded lucrative contracts from their bessie mates in government without them being subjected to the usual procurement procedures.

Meanwhile, the most vulnerable and poorest in our society face the prospect of having to find another £20 to feed, clothe and house their families.
1628377316819.jpeg

The quote is equally applicable today as it was then. That was the point of posting it.

#torybastardsdontchangetheirspots
But its not true is it? Fewer and fewer employment rights?

This is part of Labour's problem - your still living in 1993. What's required is a plan for inspiration and aspiration - neither of which feature in anything Labour do or say right now.

At this rate Labour will go into the next election espousing "one rule for them and one rule for the rest of us". It might play well into the Labour diehards, but its far removed from what ordinary people who want to get on in life see and believe. Taking random events and trying to weave them into a story book for a Labour platform will fall apart.

Labour needs to sort itself out, its attitude on Europe and develop real policies that will persuade people they can govern and stop the endless whinging whilst offering no credible alternative. Unless Labour accept the settled EU position, they will be unelectable. Any party that goes into the next election looking to rejoin the single market and cancel recently negotiated trade deals will find itself on the fringes again. So best start by stopping the in fighting, healing the rifts and becoming a credible opposition as a first step !

But its not true is it? Fewer and fewer employment rights?

This is part of Labour's problem - your still living in 1993. What's required is a plan for inspiration and aspiration - neither of which feature in anything Labour do or say right now.

At this rate Labour will go into the next election espousing "one rule for them and one rule for the rest of us". It might play well into the Labour diehards, but its far removed from what ordinary people who want to get on in life see and believe. Taking random events and trying to weave them into a story book for a Labour platform will fall apart.

Labour needs to sort itself out, its attitude on Europe and develop real policies that will persuade people they can govern and stop the endless whinging whilst offering no credible alternative. Unless Labour accept the settled EU position, they will be unelectable. Any party that goes into the next election looking to rejoin the single market and cancel recently negotiated trade deals will find itself on the fringes again. So best start by stopping the in fighting, healing the rifts and becoming a credible opposition as a first step !
“but its far removed from what ordinary people who want to get on in life see and believe.”

What, like living in shit housing, being dependent on food banks, having the worst health outcomes, ditto education et al.

I think that you need to get outside of the guilted cage that is Cranford and see at first hand exactly how “ordinary people” in one of the richest nations on earth live.

Meanwhile, the gaps between the most well off (and I include myself in this category) and the poorest widen day after day, week after week, year on year.

“Levelling Up” is just yet another Tory buzzword that means f**k all (like build back better). The nasty party has been in charge for 2/3rds of the last 50 years and look what they have achieved.

“but its far removed from what ordinary people who want to get on in life see and believe.”

What, like living in shit housing, being dependent on food banks, having the worst health outcomes, ditto education et al.

I think that you need to get outside of the guilted cage that is Cranford and see at first hand exactly how “ordinary people” in one of the richest nations on earth live.

Meanwhile, the gaps between the most well off (and I include myself in this category) and the poorest widen day after day, week after week, year on year.

“Levelling Up” is just yet another Tory buzzword that means f**k all (like build back better). The nasty party has been in charge for 2/3rds of the last 50 years and look what they have achieved.
The fifth richest country in the world has more than 1,300 food banks over 15 million people living in poverty and is having its food delivered by the army.

What a ****ing great legacy this bunch of bastards are going to leave ?

Compare John Smith to this lying charlatan - your hero and the current leader of this once great nation of ours - and tell me hand on heart that you would rather Johnson be PM than a man of honour and integrity like John Smith

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Compare John Smith to this lying charlatan - your hero and the current leader of this once great nation of ours - and tell me hand on heart that you would rather Johnson be PM than a man of honour and integrity like John Smith

Any more comments about your hero Knutsfordian?

Oh, and I’ve not even bothered to mention the six-figure sum paid for the flag-shagging campaign over the last 18 months, ditto the paint job for the plane, royal yacht that Brenda doesn’t want…

Poor housing and the use of food banks isn't something that's confined to the UK. As posted elsewhere there are over 1000 food banks in Germany, acknowledged as being the richest of western European economies.

If life in the UK is so abominably poor, why haven't millions more migrated to Europe under freedom of movement rather than the other way round?

If the Tories have made such a mess of this country why are Labour not in power and why are they still behind in the opinion polls?

The reality is that on the whole the UK is a vibrant, multi racial country with an economy that supports most of the population to a reasonable standard, provides good education, healthcare and public services and spends a vast proportion of its GDP on welfare and support. There is always more to be done, but on the whole people see a country that provides opportunity and good outcomes.

As for my personal perspective, I haven't lived life in a gilded (or guilted as you say) cage. Far from it, but I don't need to lay bare my soul or justify my beliefs. They are mine. I own them and I am quite happy in my own skin.

Poor housing and the use of food banks isn't something that's confined to the UK. As posted elsewhere there are over 1000 food banks in Germany, acknowledged as being the richest of western European economies.

If life in the UK is so abominably poor, why haven't millions more migrated to Europe under freedom of movement rather than the other way round?

If the Tories have made such a mess of this country why are Labour not in power and why are they still behind in the opinion polls?

The reality is that on the whole the UK is a vibrant, multi racial country with an economy that supports most of the population to a reasonable standard, provides good education, healthcare and public services and spends a vast proportion of its GDP on welfare and support. There is always more to be done, but on the whole people see a country that provides opportunity and good outcomes.

As for my personal perspective, I haven't lived life in a gilded (or guilted as you say) cage. Far from it, but I don't need to lay bare my soul or justify my beliefs. They are mine. I own them and I am quite happy in my own skin.
All this public money wasted on track and trace, PPE procurement, paint jobs on aeroplanes and art work for Number 10, and yet the Taxpayers Alliance seems incredibly quiet. ?

“that supports most of the population to a reasonable standard, provides good education, healthcare and public services…”

But if things were done differently and better, all of these could be so much better! But our current government’s policy is to provide the minimum standards that the public would find acceptable

“that supports most of the population to a reasonable standard, provides good education, healthcare and public services…”

But if things were done differently and better, all of these could be so much better! But our current government’s policy is to provide the minimum standards that the public would find acceptable

I have no doubt that there is room for improvement across a range of services. However that's not just about increasing budgets.

Take the NHS as an example. There is no doubt that the 10% of GDP that we spend on the NHs could be spent better to deliver better outcomes for more people. However, any mention of reforming the NHS brings cries of privatisation and torrents of abuse. Vast sums of money are spent resolving medical negligence claims with
The NHS face legal costs of £4.3 billion as part of a compensation bill for clinical negligence claims of £83 billion (source the Times)
How can this continue? But is there any chance of a meaningful debate ? Not a cat in hells chance.

How can we reform education to improve standards? Any attempt to reform education meets ferocious opposition from the teaching unions. And so it goes on.

So many reforms just get thrown in the basket of too difficult and the only meaningful influence is money. Even then, when budgets are increased the money finds its way into higher pay packets rather than better services (as the Blair government realised when it increased NHS budgets) That's not to say that public servants should not be paid fairly, but there has to be a balance.

And so we end up where we are, where things work OK but could be better, but there's no consensus about how that can happen

Rishi was taught well by Boris the Dark Lord

#moretorylies

Rishi was taught well by Boris the Dark Lord

#moretorylies

Unfortunately John Smith went before his time and was denied being the PM he should have been. Would have been interesting to have had Smith rather than Blair, but we will never know..

As for Stefanovic - well he won't be lighting up the HOC any time soon thank goodness. He might throw red meat for the Labour left, but seriously nothing new to say. If he is the best that the left has to offer its going to be a long bleak winter ahead for the lefties.

It is now officially the football season so I'm locking the political threads so we can concentrate on football.

Any new political threads will be locked or removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back