• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Congleton tonight

Volunteered myself to sit the granddaughters tonight so won't be able to make it.
Looking forward to the updates, good luck 1874.

Unable to make it tonight, will be relying on the updates!

The live updates thread was the place to be - we lost 1-4.

Lost 4-1. Went behind early on to a disputed penalty. Not a full side although Danny Thomas made a welcome return from injury. Only gripe, £6 for a Mid-Cheshire Senior Cup Game.

I thought a poor performance tonight, a chance for the gaffer to give some of the squad a run out... at least it showed him who is and isn't good enough.... however saying that Congleton fully deserving of their victory and could have had a lot more if their shooting boots had been on..

Last edited:
I take it our fans made up the majority of the 130 attendance! Do we get a percentage of the gates, would balance out the £6 entrance fee, if so.

I think the the main purpose of last night was to give some of the fringe players a run out and fulfill our obligation to the fixture. Not much fun I accept if you're having to shell out £6 for that "pleasure" though. I seem to remember previous comments that the admission price for the friendly fixture was similar too?

In truth Tez we have got quite a few injuries at present - Adam Foy, Matt Conkie. Lee duckworth,Ryan Stewart, ryan mitchell etc plus Lee Jones on holiday

It was a good opportunity to bring Danny Thomas and Stuart Welstead back after injury/ suspension

But a dreadful start for us meant we were always up against it last night ( but as Simon says above the best side won on the night)

I thought we played some good passing football after the goals during the first half, But we were a bit scrappy after the break.
Would have said we had a good 60 ish there last night which is still pretty good for a MCC game.

Aye, a disappointing night out. On the receiving end of the £6 again from The Bears, but it must cost clubs daft amounts of money for these fixtures? All in the name of heritage? Bright side was the floodlight cut-out didn't affect K.O. o_O

Quite surprised and a little disappointed that we couldn't have given a runout to local lads, who I thought would have been queuing up for a trial, especially at a time where a fair amount of senior players are struggling for fitness. It hasn't been said but it can't go without saying that for the entirety of 1874 Northwich legend there will never be a worse debut that that of the goalkeeper who was so out of his depth it was embarrassing. The lad from Chester is decent on the ball, he will have a future in the game. Be good to get him in for a while as Steve Crane will most likely be out with a hamstring injury for months.

Cup football is overrated anyway.

Disappointing but at least we can now focus on the league.

Back