• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Concerned

Badger

Jan 26, 2020
Is anybody else massively concerned by the lack of squad strengthening?

We have stepped up a league and aiming to compete yet our current squad is seriously lacking compared to the one that in theory got us promoted.

We have lost Scotty who is pretty irreplaceable, Lee Jackson who has been one of our most consistent defenders for the past few seasons. Granted we have lost Mitch and Cain to injury but we have also lost Ryan Jackson and the very promising Harry Johnson.

We are seriously lacking up top, Ash Woods is clearly not the answer and God knows what is going on with Joe Duckworth.

I am baffled why we didn't move for Grimshaw even to fill a gap until the end of the season.

We need at least three quality additions in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure the management are working tirelessly to bring new faces in but at this time of the season it's hard.
If clubs are still in the Vase or Trophy then they might be keeping a larger squad. And there's the question of fitting into our budget.

If we'd lost Scotty to Macc in the summer then Joe would probably be 100% our player. Instead he's contracted to Winsford & rarely available.
I think Grimshaw is 37 & unproven at this level so it would be a huge gamble on him.

Same with Jacko - if he leaves pre-season then it's easier to find a replacement. Having said that Foulds & Marrow have both looked the part.
I think Markell was playing left back for Barlick at the start of the season so perhaps he'll be cover for Russy.

We have stepped up a league and aiming to compete yet our current squad is seriously lacking compared to the one that in theory got us promoted.

We have lost Scotty who is pretty irreplaceable, Lee Jackson who has been one of our most consistent defenders for the past few seasons. Granted we have lost Mitch and Cain to injury but we have also lost Ryan Jackson and the very promising Harry Johnson.

We are seriously lacking up top, Ash Woods is clearly not the answer and God knows what is going on with Joe Duckworth.

I am baffled why we didn't move for Grimshaw even to fill a gap until the end of the season.

Massively concerned?

No

Do I think that we need a few more reinforcements? Maybe.

Harry is a few weeks away from returning, ditto Weir (who has been a huge loss). But Aaron Smith is back and by all accounts showed again what a fine player he is in his cameo performance as sub at Workington.

Yes, Scotty was a big loss, but who wold have you replaced him with?

As I’ve said earlier, the league table shows the tough run of fixtures we’ve had. We’ve also had injuries to key players to contend with, the loss of Scotty and don’t forget that we are also playing sides with far bigger budgets than we have!

And I don’t doubt for one moment that both Bo and Goody have analysed the strengths and weaknesses of the current squad and will seek to bring in new faces - but only if they are affordable, are the right ‘fit’ for the squad and club and will be an improvement on the players who performed so well to get us to where we are today!?

“I am baffled why we didn't move for Grimshaw even to fill a gap until the end of the season.”

Four reasons.

1 Even if we wanted him, I suspect that ££ would have been an issue. He’s based around Preston so travelling expenses would have been high

2 Age. No spring chicken ?

3 Did you see either of the games we played v Charnock last season? Jonah had him in his pocket both games. Results in both 5-0 for 74.? He’d come across centre halves as good as Jonah on a regular basis and imho would be out of his depth at step 4

4 I just don’t think that he’d fit into the system we play. Can you ever recall us playing a big striker up top since Bo and Goody Have been in charge? Just not their style?

Hopefully we have links with clubs at all levels and should be able to get loan players in
I would have thought that we could build better links with Macc and maybe as part of our lads moving to them, that we could get one or two of their 36+ squad as replacements ?

Hopefully we have links with clubs at all levels and should be able to get loan players in
I would have thought that we could build better links with Macc and maybe as part of our lads moving to them, that we could get one or two of their 36+ squad as replacements ?
Very droll Graham….??

“I am baffled why we didn't move for Grimshaw even to fill a gap until the end of the season.”

Four reasons.

1 Even if we wanted him, I suspect that ££ would have been an issue. He’s based around Preston so travelling expenses would have been high

2 Age. No spring chicken ?

3 Did you see either of the games we played v Charnock last season? Jonah had him in his pocket both games. Results in both 5-0 for 74.? He’d come across centre halves as good as Jonah on a regular basis and imho would be out of his depth at step 4

4 I just don’t think that he’d fit into the system we play. Can you ever recall us playing a big striker up top since Bo and Goody Have been in charge? Just not their style?
Agree with most of that apart from point number 4, I think that a big strong guy up front is exactly what we need as it'll give us something different against big physical teams, part of the problem is that we're far to one dimensional and there's no plan B when our plan A of trying to play nice football on the floor doesn't work, it's great that the managers want us to play that way but it's just not possible at this level from what I've seen so far

Agree with most of that apart from point number 4, I think that a big strong guy up front is exactly what we need as it'll give us something different against big physical teams, part of the problem is that we're far to one dimensional and there's no plan B when our plan A of trying to play nice football on the floor doesn't work, it's great that the managers want us to play that way but it's just not possible at this level from what I've seen so far
So who do you play off this ‘big-guy’? And how would this change the dynamic of the way we play and the rest of the formation?

I’m not saying that it isn’t a bad idea to have a ‘Plan B’ (or even C and D!) and a big guy up top could be one possibility.

But as I said earlier, anyone that Bo and Goody may want to bring in must fit within our existing budget, team ethos, be better than the players we already have and ‘fit’ into the existing squad in terms of attitude and personality,

So who do you play off this ‘big-guy’? And how would this change the dynamic of the way we play and the rest of the formation?

I’m not saying that it isn’t a bad idea to have a ‘Plan B’ (or even C and D!) and a big guy up top could be one possibility.

But as I said earlier, anyone that Bo and Goody may want to bring in must fit within our existing budget, team ethos, be better than the players we already have and ‘fit’ into the existing squad in terms of attitude and personality,
Sot on there James. It’s not as straightforward as simply wallet waving like some other clubs seem to adopt.

If you go big guy then he holds the ball up for the likes of Jakey & Aaron to get involved further up the pitch.
It gives us an out ball as well that you don't get with a little bloke.

Article on the website later but the club have announced the signing of Paul Turner from Barlick.
Ex-Longridge striker with 12 goals in 12 games this season.

I thought it was an odd move him leaving Longridge to sign for Barlick in the summer but I think that's a great signing for us.
Exactly my thoughts too Edge, seemed a bit of a sideways move. Maybe Barlick were more forward thinking than Longridge?

I thought it was an odd move him leaving Longridge to sign for Barlick in the summer but I think that's a great signing for us.
I agree . I’m sure we’ve dealt with Barlick appropriately and also looked after their best interests too like the class outfit we are ???

Paul sounds like a top signing.

As well as all the goals he’s scored this season, he netted 31 in 33 appearances for Longridge in the 2019-20 campaign. Someone on Twitter described him as a ‘goal machine’. Another person said we’ve got a ‘right player’.

Just what we need. Exciting stuff!

Back