• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Bury

James Wood

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jun 1, 2017
I see that the 1885 consortium that has been trying to resurrect Bury got the keys to Gigg Lane today. Great news for the fans and town. But it will be interesting to see how things pan out with the already established and fans-run Bury AFC.

From reading AFC’s website it appears that they are already in discussions with 1885. Let’s hope that both parties can come to a (an please excuse the pun) mutually beneficial agreement that can see a vibrant, community lead club re-established in the town.

The amount of Bury fans on Twitter I have seen saying they need to avoid doing a Northwich (split fanbase) at all costs suggests they will come together.

Gave it a cursory glance and had the impression the statement suggested both clubs seemed to be on the same page. Lose track (still) given the various incarnations. Do we anticipate a separate AFC statement confirming the FC (benefactors?) assumption of progress? Not wholly clear whether the FC decision is reliant on fan agreement; clearly AFC will require a vote “yes” to move forward.

Government cash and local council help, very nice...................................

Reactions: Ben
Government cash and local council help, very nice...................................
Something else that's not available to multiple clubs - now if we were a single entity that could be a different matter .............

@Knutsfordian Start small - see if you can merge the two witton forums
Not sure why they set 2 up. The fans forum has been running for quite some time run by MIke Turner and he has done a good job over the years and its not as though its ever really been contentious. There's no need to expend energy merging them, as with the football teams, just leave them alone and they will just wither and die.

Just let me be absolutely clear, in the short term the football teams will play and the supporters will enjoy the games. What is happening though (and hiding in plain sight) is that the gap between where the clubs are now and where they might want to be is widening by the season. When Saturday comes and we all stand on the terraces, such thoughts are far away. However, we are not going to get away with it and at some point the issues will have to be faced. Bury are at that point right now.

Bury is a totally different argument. One owns the name & ground & one is the football team.
It's like 1874 merging with Moss Farm.

A numbers of FC tweeters think this is their new beginning. Local funding about to be withdrawn and doubtless Government levelling up money plans will go with it. No Gigg Lane then and no evidence of a team or obvious route into the National League system. Disappointing for AFC but they do have a fan base, a plan and a way forward to progress.

Reactions: Ben
In other merger news

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Back