• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Brian Ashley

Vicki England

Too much time on my hands
1874 Official
Jul 31, 2013
On behalf of the Club, I am so sad to let the 74 family know that our good friend Brian Ashley, passed away yesterday morning at the ground. This happened suddenly, and despite the very best efforts of his friends who were with him and of the Paramedics who attended, unfortunately Brian did not recover.

Our Chairman Steve has been in contact with Brian’s family since yesterday and his son Gavin has asked that the following message is communicated

To all at 1874

Unfortunately, 1874 Supporter/Volunteer Brian Ashley passed away on Sunday morning from a suspected cardiac arrest whilst working with the Stadium Gang at Townfield. My family would like to pass on our heartfelt thanks to members of the Gang who were present at the time including Steve Richardson, Frank Kirkham & Rich Stockton for their efforts in trying to help Dad by performing CPR treatment and also calling the emergency services to attend.

You will all know Dad was an avid 74 supporter who loved nothing more than spending his Saturday afternoons & Tuesday evenings cheering on 74 all over the country. He spent his Sunday mornings at Townfield working on the ground with his good friends in the Stadium Gang. Obviously, this has come as a huge shock to us all but the consolation we take at this difficult time is that it happened at a place where he had so many good times with his great friends around him.

We would also like to pass on a huge thank you to Steve Richardson for all his help during this difficult time. We will of course pass on any funeral arrangements once they become known, any 1874 friends/supporters who wish to attend the funeral will be made very welcome.

Gavin

Brian was a hugely valued member of our Club and of the Stadium Gang. He would roll his sleeves up when something needed doing and always volunteered with a smile and a joke. He followed the team everywhere, being one of the first at the ground to put the flags out. He was a lovely man, a thoroughly decent guy who was popular in the 74 family. He will be massively missed by everyone.

A tribute by the Club will follow in the Newsletter and we will post information about Brian’s funeral, when known.

Our thoughts go out to Brian’s family at this very sad and difficult time. We hope they will take comfort from knowing that he was held in the highest regard by everyone at 1874.

Thank you Brian, you were a star, and we will miss you

On behalf of the Club, I am so sad to let the 74 family know that our good friend Brian Ashley, passed away yesterday morning at the ground. This happened suddenly, and despite the very best efforts of his friends who were with him and of the Paramedics who attended, unfortunately Brian did not recover.

Our Chairman Steve has been in contact with Brian’s family since yesterday and his son Gavin has asked that the following message is communicated

To all at 1874

Unfortunately, 1874 Supporter/Volunteer Brian Ashley passed away on Sunday morning from a suspected cardiac arrest whilst working with the Stadium Gang at Townfield. My family would like to pass on our heartfelt thanks to members of the Gang who were present at the time including Steve Richardson, Frank Kirkham & Rich Stockton for their efforts in trying to help Dad by performing CPR treatment and also calling the emergency services to attend.

You will all know Dad was an avid 74 supporter who loved nothing more than spending his Saturday afternoons & Tuesday evenings cheering on 74 all over the country. He spent his Sunday mornings at Townfield working on the ground with his good friends in the Stadium Gang. Obviously, this has come as a huge shock to us all but the consolation we take at this difficult time is that it happened at a place where he had so many good times with his great friends around him.

We would also like to pass on a huge thank you to Steve Richardson for all his help during this difficult time. We will of course pass on any funeral arrangements once they become known, any 1874 friends/supporters who wish to attend the funeral will be made very welcome.

Gavin

Brian was a hugely valued member of our Club and of the Stadium Gang. He would roll his sleeves up when something needed doing and always volunteered with a smile and a joke. He followed the team everywhere, being one of the first at the ground to put the flags out. He was a lovely man, a thoroughly decent guy who was popular in the 74 family. He will be massively missed by everyone.

A tribute by the Club will follow in the Newsletter and we will post information about Brian’s funeral, when known.

Our thoughts go out to Brian’s family at this very sad and difficult time. We hope they will take comfort from knowing that he was held in the highest regard by everyone at 1874.

Thank you Brian, you were a star, and we will miss you

I saw the headline of this thread and I immediately thought “Oh no, surely not!”

Unfortunately my worst fears were confirmed within seconds of starting to read Vicki’s post.

Paul, Ian, Toddy and now Brian. Such a collective loss to our club.

My deepest sympathy goes to all his family and non 74 friends. Townfield and away games will not be the same without him.

Can't really add to all the tributes above, a really nice bloke taken far to soon, thoughts with the family.

Very sad and sobering to read this news. Sincere condolences to the family for their profound loss. Thoughts are with the family at this difficult time.
Brian was a lovely man with a great enthusiasm. Always a warm friendly welcome despite our visits to games being brief and sporadic in their regularity these days. He will be greatly missed by many involved with the club. ??

What to say?
Brian was one if those people, very few these days it seems, that absolutely no one had a bad thing to say about. A genuinely nice bloke, always with a smile and a laugh and the "go to" bloke for insider knowledge on the latest players, gossip. A gent I always looked forward to seeing. He always made me smile. We'll miss you Brian.

Really gutted and sad to read this news, Brian was a great bloke who really added to the match day experience with his welcoming and friendly personality to both home and away supporters, he was also always very friendly to me personally whether it was at a game or a social event which I always appreciated and it won't be the same without him on match day at Townfield

Really gutted and sad to read this news, Brian was a great bloke who really added to the match day experience with his welcoming and friendly personality to both home and away supporters, he was also always very friendly to me personally whether it was at a game or a social event which I always appreciated and it won't be the same without him on match day at Townfield

Josh - you hit the nail on the head re Brian’s innate friendliness to away fans, both at Townfield and on our travels. I particularly recall some great banter we had with some Glossop fans at their place last season. Great give and take, and good natured mickey taking.

I watched England vs Brazil at his parent’s house in 1970 as they had colour TV. We called him Sammy at school for some reason lost to me.

I took that picture of Brian; it was at the Santa Dash last Christmas time in marshalling at the St Luke's charity walk around Northwich.... we were stationed behind Brio... Brian didn't fancy standing up for hours on end, so popped into Brio and blagged a couple of chairs to sit on!...... think he also got himself a coffee after mentioning Vicki's name!

A fantastic fella and a good friend travelling to many an away game together... he will be sorely missed; thoughts with Gav, Taz and the family

My favourite photo of him!

He said he was working hard on behalf of the club! Haha! As ever he was the first to put his hand up and offer help.

We are thinking about you all @tazinspain Be very proud, he made such an impact at the club and on all of us. ? x

Back