• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

AWAY TRAVEL - Workington - Saturday 25 September

Vicki England

Too much time on my hands
1874 Official
Jul 31, 2013
Folks

A coach has been booked to take the players and a reduced number of supporters, to our game at Workington.

It will leave Northwich at around 10am, but this is to be confirmed as we need to ensure that we plan around the team and we are also aware that there are road works in Cumbria and need to account for them.

Cost is £20

If you would like to book, please see me tonight to be added onto the list or text me on 07975679624

For those of you making your own way to Workington here is the info which may, or may not, be in tonight's programme. Watch out for the delays at Cockermouth.

ClubWorkington
Game DateSaturday 25th September
Game time15.00
Ground addressBorough Park, Workington, CA14 2DT
Home coloursRed shirts, red shorts and red socks
DirectionsM6 J40. A66 to Workington. At Ramsay Brow traffic lights turn right onto A596 (SP Carlisle and Maryport). Cross river and at roundabout take 3rd exit (ground signposted as well as town centre A597). Cross back over river and ground is on left hand site and Tescos on right (entry off roundabout). (150 miles about 3 hours).
Warning! The A66 will be closed for weekend working near Cockermouth which could add half an hour to the journey time. There is a detour in place. At the end of the dual carriageway turn right at Bassenthwaite od railway station, and follow the old road into Cockermouth. Beyond Cockermouth re-join the A66.
Parking facilitiesNone at ground but can use Tesco’s or town centre car parks
Railway stationWorkington (via Carlisle)
BusN/a
Admission PricesAdults £11, Concessions £6, U18 £3, U11 £1
Programme price£2.50
Disabled access and toiletsYes. If disabled parking is required please ring the club on 01900 602871 between 10 and 12.
CarersAllowed in free with disabled fans.
Food at groundYes is available
Drinks at groundBottled / canned or keg beer available
Local restaurantsCaspians in Derwent road (1.3m from ground)
Are dogs allowedYes
Local pubsThe two best pubs appear to be the Henry Bessemer (Wetherspoons) 0.5m and the Green Dragon 0.8m from the ground. West Cumbria CAMRA however say: Sadly Workington is a bit of a real ale desert, apart from the Wetherspoon pub. Where I would recommend is Cockermouth which is 7 miles from Workington and is just off the A66. It can also be reached by bus from Workington. The pubs I would recommend are The Swan, Castle Bar (currently our branch Pub of the Year) and Cock and Bull. All 3 pubs are in the Good Beer Guide.
The Wainwright in Keswick, Coledale Inn Braithwaite and Embleton Spa in Embleton are also worth a visit.
Local places of interestGoing back to Roman times Workington is now the main shopping centre for West Cumbria. It was the home of the first Bessemer Converter (invented by Henry Bessemer) for converting iron to steel which revolutionised steel production.
Places of interest include the Helena Thompson Museum, the RC church of Our Lady and St Michael (designed by E W Pugin), the parish church of St Michael and Workington Hall. Wikipedia has a list of 58 listed buildings including these and the Green Dragon pub
AcknowledgementsVisit Cumbria.com, Wikipedia, Alec Graham (Workington AFC), Stephen Walker (CAMRA)

Just bringing this back to the top. We still have seats available, so if you are thinking of using the away travel service, please let me know.

The M6 J19 (Knutsford) junction is shut from 2100 on Saturday night

The coach will be heading off earlier on Saturday, to ensure that the players arrive on time. Departure is now 9am from the Memorial Court

We haven't sold all available seats, so still time if you are thinking of going

Back