• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

ARE WITTON IN FREE FALL

There is a thread on Facebook with Witton fans discussing their loss to 10-man Mickleover. It’s a great read, slating the team and the club even though they have just been promoted and had a reasonable start to the season. The thing they all fail to mention though is that the last few years their playing budget was propped up by JRFC, this year they do not have that luxury. I predict a return to Evostik division one within 2-3 years.

Its basically the same squad as last year minus Barauss.
I dont know but I would doubt if the playing budget has decreased.
Weve just had a bad couple of weeks and as happens at all football clubs people start to pick fault and criticise, it happened with you lot last year when you weren't playing well.
Theres some good sides in the prem and I was never under any illusions we wouldn't have it all our own way. We have a good squad and when everyones fully fit we are more than capable of going on a run

Its basically the same squad as last year minus Barauss.
I dont know but I would doubt if the playing budget has decreased.
Weve just had a bad couple of weeks and as happens at all football clubs people start to pick fault and criticise, it happened with you lot last year when you weren't playing well.
Theres some good sides in the prem and I was never under any illusions we wouldn't have it all our own way. We have a good squad and when everyones fully fit we are more than capable of going on a run
Joking and rivalry aside. I do think that it will go the other way for you soon - a win on the board makes a massive difference. I reckon you`ll be in the top half at the end of the season.

The sole aim for Albion this season is to consolidate (i’ve said as much on the Facebook discussion) and i’m sure the majority of the fan base accept that as a reality. Early season success was an unexpected bonus which perhaps gave rise to a few getting overly optimistic at the season’s prospects.
In terms of falling gates, all local clubs need to accept the fact that the halcyon days of pre-Sky Sport Saturday (and most other days for that matter) have disappeared and those crowds of 600, 700, 800 or more are gone forever (aside of the odd big game) regardless of results on the field. More and more non-league clubs are going to have to develop their revenue schemes off the pitch to survive.

Tez, I agree with you to some extent, except I do believe gates of 600-800 are achievable for one of the Northwich clubs although maybe not at the moment. Sadly for Albion, they have always been in the shadow of NVFC except for a few years of success when they used up the proceeds from the Central Ground sale to finance a half decent side. They do not have the ‘Northwich’ name and I think that impacts on them. I believe a Northwich based 1874 with a half decent team could achieve reasonable support, or a resurgent NVFC (god forbid) if they reached out to the community and proved themselves to be honest and transparent in the next 5 years. I believe a potential fan base is still there, I think the descent of NVFC turned a lot of people off non-league football in our town. Returning to Northwich is vital to our own future and I honestly think if we were playing within our own town games like yesterday would attract nearer 500. I remember seasons watching Vics where a large number of games only attracted 600-odd.

Couldn't agree more Tez, I for one know we are now at the level where we are comfortable, any higher and I do think without major investment we would struggle.
Yes you did have better crowds when you were one but once you split you also split the fan base. With the feeling between you all I cant see any fan altering their allegiance any time soon.
If you think you can attract crowds of 500 plus then good luck. I find that highly unlikely

.......Yes you did have better crowds when you were one but once you split you also split the fan base. With the feeling between you all I cant see any fan altering their allegiance any time soon........
If you think you can attract crowds of 500 plus then good luck. I find that highly unlikely
Similarly to Witton’s predicament (perhaps?) I think 500 plus is not unreasonable, alas only for certain games (for ‘74 that would more likely be cup games at our present Step) but not on a regular basis in my humble opinion.

Agree with Tez's and Charlie's view re attendances, the only way in excess of 500 regularly attending a local non league game would be if there was just one club in Northwich (never going to happen I know). However I stand by my view that one ground somewhere in town for both Witton and 1874 to share would help both clubs in this regard particularly if there were adjoining sporting facilities for the community to use. Appreciate that the older generations on both the green and red side would never want to see this happen but I don't think the younger and future fans would have a problem with it.

Tez, I agree with you to some extent, except I do believe gates of 600-800 are achievable for one of the Northwich clubs although maybe not at the moment. Sadly for Albion, they have always been in the shadow of NVFC except for a few years of success when they used up the proceeds from the Central Ground sale to finance a half decent side. They do not have the ‘Northwich’ name and I think that impacts on them. I believe a Northwich based 1874 with a half decent team could achieve reasonable support, or a resurgent NVFC (god forbid) if they reached out to the community and proved themselves to be honest and transparent in the next 5 years. I believe a potential fan base is still there, I think the descent of NVFC turned a lot of people off non-league football in our town. Returning to Northwich is vital to our own future and I honestly think if we were playing within our own town games like yesterday would attract nearer 500. I remember seasons watching Vics where a large number of games only attracted 600-odd.

The Witton squad that played at Wembley and finished in the top half of the Conference were slightly better than a "half decent side" Kit! Lol

I stand by my view that one ground somewhere in town for both Witton and 1874 to share would help both clubs in this regard particularly if there were adjoining sporting facilities for the community to use. Appreciate that the older generations on both the green and red side would never want to see this happen but I don't think the younger and future fans would have a problem with it.

That makes me a youngster. :)

Oh dear the natives are restless at Witton,gates on the decline results poor,but on the bright side they have WHS.

And after your landlords result tonight you're now 25 points behind Runcorn Town and its the first week in October. Remember toddy only one team goes up and no play offs

My original comment was only a bit of fun as I accept Toddys is regarding us.
In all seriousness though it must be of some concern that in truth you may become victims of your own success.
I fully understand that good cup runs are both exciting and rewarding but do at times come at a cost. We found this out last year.
It also puts massive pressure on the team to get three points week in week out. No more so than at the weekend when you face Linnets.
If we have a bad winter when games may get called off you dont want to be playing three times a week.
The NW Counties league is a notoriously difficult league to get out off and with the kind of start the 2 Runcorn sides have had its only made your task more difficult

Back