• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Alty

Nicki

Administrator
Forum Staff
Jun 24, 2013
What's going on there at the moment?

It had passed me by until yesterday that they're rock-bottom of the Conference North.

Must admit I was genuinely shocked too.

We might be playing them in a competitive match sooner than we thought!

There used to be an Alty guy who was very vocal on the NVFC forum. I miss him.

There was Gaz Warrington (mate/relative of Pez), Ballon du Garcon, and Mark Ecky.

Had a look at the Alty forum today and they are all resigned to relegation but can still manage a little jibe at Northwich!

I wouldn't mind drawing them in the next round of the CSC. Another set of fans to be educated in the wonders of '74. I know we played them in a friendly but that's different.

Given the timing of my Vics supporting years and not living locally for a large proportion of them, Alty rather than Witton were always the main rivals in my eyes. There were just not enough seasons (3?) when Witton were in the same league.

Witton have never been "in the same league". ;)
Personally I can never get out of my head the 1-8 defeat whenever I think of Alty. :(

Altrincham now Relegated obviously this was always on the cards this season would this be the lowest level they've played at in there history?

Strong rumours that both Alty and FCUM are in serious financial trouble !

Alty could well be doomed. All the land round the ground sold off and the money gone and no improvement to the old ground. They were such a proud non league club back in the day when they kept losing the vote to get in the old fourth division and had success in the FA cup including a replay at Maine road against Spurs which I went to....very sad once again!

Depressingly accurate summary of the state Alty are in by Mark Ecky on their forum recently. A couple of familiar echoes.
I think FCUM are experiencing a bit of donation fatigue. There is a fine line between having lofty ambitions as a fan-run club and keeping your feet on the ground & maintaining financial stability.

I think FCUM are experiencing a bit of donation fatigue.
That added to them seriously overstretching themselves to build the ground. Oh, and a few falling's out between board and fans (board that were in charge when building the ground have now all resigned and been replaced.)

That's what I was alluding to with the "lofty ambitions". Is their ground actually "finished"?

Altrincham now Relegated obviously this was always on the cards this season would this be the lowest level they've played at in there history?

Alty were in the Cheshire League at one point, however this was in the days when there was no Northern Premier leagues let alone Conference levels. Arguably in its day the Cheshire League would have been the next level down after the Football League (although no automatic promotion existed back then), so in theory they've dropped down two more Steps from that? However that is stretching the point somewhat.
Personally I think it's a shame to see Alty in their present predicament. In the (not necessarily good) old days we always enjoyed a healthy rivalry, derby games always having some edge (in the nicest sense).

Ah, the days when the Cheshire League was a force to be reckoned with in NL circles! I just caught the tail end of that before the NPL was formed in 1968. Those were the days of the somewhat ramshackle wooden stand at the DF.

Overstretching to build a ground now where have I seen that before

Back