• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Alan Vickers

Tez

Administrator
Forum Staff
Game Player 5
Jun 24, 2013
Apologies if it’s been posted elsewhere (can’t see it if it is), but I noted that the news reported on social media the sad passing of Alan Vickers, former Vics player in the early/mid 70’s. My abiding memory (without consulting “A Team for all Seasons”) was a hat-trick at Canal Street against Runcorn FC. As I recall the pitch was ankle deep in mud and Vickers (aka the Flying Pig) played a blinder. Anyone of a certain age able to confirm my recollections ?

Apologies if it’s been posted elsewhere (can’t see it if it is), but I noted that the news reported on social media the sad passing of Alan Vickers, former Vics player in the early/mid 70’s. My abiding memory (without consulting “A Team for all Seasons”) was a hat-trick at Canal Street against Runcorn FC. As I recall the pitch was ankle deep in mud and Vickers (aka the Flying Pig) played a blinder. Anyone of a certain age able to confirm my recollections ?
I can’t recall the game itself Tez, but I can recall Alan as he was playing as I started watching Vics.

I recall that he was a butcher from Leek or around there and yes it certainly looked as if he was no stranger to the odd full English!

But like Phil Gee, he was a far better footballer than his appearance suggested!

Reactions: Tez
I remember playing against him in the late 60’s, when he played for Kidsgrove.
A no- nonsense centre forward, and prolific goal scorer.

Phil Gee what a player he was. worked with Phil at ICI he could be a bit moody on the pitch if it was not going well. but can confirm what James says that Phil was partial to the odd pie or three.

Your memory's nearly right, Tez - Alan Vickers got all 4 goals that day. One of the more memorable encounters with Runcorn, and I think you're right about the mudbath. I think he'd qualify nowadays for the description "quite a unit", but I imagine he was a bit of a handful to play against. Sad news.

Had a feeling it was four goals deep down. A 4-3 win, i’m guessing, as i’ve only managed a brief glimpse in “A Team for all seasons”? Must have been a quite a match, mind you as a school age fan back then, they all were.
Testing my memory still further, was it played on a Sunday? Not sure it was the usual Bank Holiday fixture date.

It was Feb 3rd 1973, att 658, which google tells me was a Saturday, but not a Bank Hol fixture! Boxing Day was Fleetwood at home (2-2).
The return Runcorn fixture was March 17th - also not Easter (just checked). Won 2-1 (Alan Vickers only managed 2 that day), att 784.

What would we do without ATFAS?!

Back