• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

A small favour

Nicki

Administrator
Forum Staff
Jun 24, 2013
I wonder if I could ask the good folk of Northwich to do me a small favour and read what's on the following link and take action via Twitter or Email. It took me 20s to do via Twitter. It really is easy to do I promise.

https://www.mndassociation.org/get-involved/campaigning-influencing/scrap-benefit-reassessments/

***This is non-political*** Here's the text from it (MND is Motor Neurone Disease):

With the general election approaching, we need you to urge your parliamentary candidates to commit to scrapping reassessments for people living with MND who are claiming Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)*.

Reassessing people with MND for disability benefits such as ESA is pointless. It makes no sense to reassess people with MND because it is a rapidly progressing, terminal condition with no periods of remission, meaning a person living with the disease will only see their symptoms get worse, not better. The reassessments are unnecessary, cause avoidable stress and anxiety for people with MND, and are a waste of public money.

The last government announced that people in the support group of ESA with ‘severe and lifelong conditions’ would be exempt from reassessments for that benefit, and we want to make sure the next Government upholds this commitment.

****There's a list of candidates who have already agreed but I don't think any of the Weaver Vale and Tatton people are on it.*****

It took me literally fifteen seconds to do. Anyone who knows someone affected by MND will realise this is fifteen seconds well spent.
Thanks for your support folks:)

I can only echo Nicki and Tez - it is something dear to all 3 of us and really needs to be done. It took me longer than their 15 or 20 seconds but there again I am on old luddite in comparison to those 2 youngsters!

Thank you so much to those of you who have done this - including others not on here but who popped up on Twitter.

If you haven't done this yet, maybe you could find some time today or tomorrow to do so? People with MND don't have many tomorrows...

Did this last week by email, I have had replies pledging support, directly from two Eddisbury candidates, one of whom has signed up on the list.

Thanks Maggie - I can't see any reason why they shouldn't support this. Sometimes they just need a little prodding though. :)

Big big thanks for all those who've responded so far. Knew the posters on this forum wouldn't let us down.

Thank you so much to those of you who have done this - including others not on here but who popped up on Twitter.

If you haven't done this yet, maybe you could find some time today or tomorrow to do so? People with MND don't have many tomorrows...
Well mentioned Nicki. We lost the father in law (who former older vics followers will know - rod whitlow), to this a couple of years ago. It's so rapid it's unbelievable how quickly people deteriorate. Done and shared.

Thank you Blackie. I'm not going to 'like' your comment for obvious reasons. It's perhaps like many diseases, unless it affects you or your family then it's just so easy to turn a blind eye and think it's not your problem. Responding to this 'campaign' costs people nothing except a very small amount of time.

However, if this thread even just raises some awareness of a disease that barely any GP's understand, let alone the general public, then that's a start.

Well mentioned Nicki. We lost the father in law (who former older vics followers will know - rod whitlow), to this a couple of years ago. It's so rapid it's unbelievable how quickly people deteriorate. Done and shared.
Blackie, thanks for doing this. I did not know about your father in law. It is not always quick - my wife has had it over 10 years but it took them until last year to diagnose - but in all forms it is debilitating and bloody awful to suffer.
I am jealous of Maggie - I have had no response from the Weaver Vale candidates.

What a fine upstanding bunch of candidates you have Mark!

Nice one Blackie. Rapid is the word. My Dad was experiencing what appeared to be typical signs of old age. After a few persistent nags at the GP, he was by finally diagnosed by a consultant with MND. This was in Mid-November 2013 - by the end of January 2014 he'd passed away :( Given his rapid physical decline in the preceding months, as heart breaking as it was, his passing was a blessing. I remember one of his last coherent sentences was "I always thought I was going to get better". Sadly for him and all others with MND this is (presently) an impossibility.

If you haven't already done it, click on the link and lobby your parliamentary candidates. The link to twitter provides a simple pre-written message. It will take you 20 seconds, 30 at most to complete. Thanks in anticipation,

Last edited:
Back