• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

22 Years of Hurt is Over!

James Wood

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jun 1, 2017
Oh boy, what a night! My beloved Scotland ??????? are back in the big time after two decades of pain and disappointment.
Matters not a jot this morning.
What a job Steve Clarke has done. He, his back room staff and the players deserve massive, massive credit. Just how much it meant to them was evident in the post match interviews. ????????????????

Oh boy, what a night! My beloved Scotland ??????? are back in the big time after two decades of pain and disappointment.
Matters not a jot this morning.
What a job Steve Clarke has done. He, his back room staff and the players deserve massive, massive credit. Just how much it meant to them was evident in the post match interviews. ????????????????
I feel for you James. I spent 10 years in Edinburgh watching Scotland drag glorious defeat from the jaws of victory ! In England's group too so will be a fabulous day at Wembley ! Have we/England got another Gascoigne? Not so sure but according to some Scottish commentators there is no reason why they can't win the competition ! Ally's army in a submarine here we come :)

I feel for you James. I spent 10 years in Edinburgh watching Scotland drag glorious defeat from the jaws of victory ! In England's group too so will be a fabulous day at Wembley ! Have we/England got another Gascoigne? Not so sure but according to some Scottish commentators there is no reason why they can't win the competition ! Ally's army in a submarine here we come :)
If crowds are allowed back in then with two home games v Croatia and the Czech Republic we must stand a chance of making one of the best third placed teams. Despite my wildest dreams, at best Wembley will be about damage limitation.

But we can always dream can’t we? ????????????????????????????❤️❤️❤️

I gather that one of the major damage limitations is to strengthen the goalposts.
I think that it was the crossbar that failed - along with the England side on that memorable day! ????????

for our younger readers.after the Jocks scraped a win against England,the Jock hooligans invaded Wembley and wrecked the place including ripping down the cross bars. The match was described in the Scottish Press at the time as a morale boost for the 1978 world cup campaign in Argentina with Allys Tartan Army not sure how that went though !!

To be fair virgil they did not cause any trouble over there,mind you they were not there long.
At least the TA has never been tear gassed at a match unlike England fans in Italy in 1980. Or caused a game to be abandoned like at Landsdowne Road.

They did ok as I remember beating Holland, ending up 3rd in the group on goal difference - but had some decent players with a certain Dalglish in the team

for our younger readers.after the Jocks scraped a win against England,the Jock hooligans invaded Wembley and wrecked the place including ripping down the cross bars. The match was described in the Scottish Press at the time as a morale boost for the 1978 world cup campaign in Argentina with Allys Tartan Army not sure how that went though !!
Wrong Virgil. The invasion of the pitch at Wembley occurred in 1977, not 1978 which is when Scotland played in the World Cup in Argentina

I know it was 1977 the Scottish press stated after the match it was a great boost for Allys army in the World cup of 1978 in the argentine

something I thought I would not see James Wood and Roger (knutsfordian) agreeing . a wee dram methinks james

I am happy to share a bottle (never mind all this wee dram bollocks :) ) and I am quite happy that Scotland have qualified. I spent 10 years working in Edinburgh and watched many a glorious defeat first hand. Really pleased that they have something to cheer and it will make the group a bit tasty me thinks

Back