• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 v League Leaders

Atticus Finch

Legend
Aug 2, 2013
That's what Saturday's game at Daisy Hill is now billed as after the Westhoughton based outfit made it two wins on the bounce after defeating close neighbours Atherton LR at Crilly Park.

Should be a cracker.

But can they attract more than 30 of their own fans, and more to the point will they have any programmes for sale, or will it be the same as tonight.

For any 1874 fans wishing to travel to Daisy Hill and have Sat-Nav, post code is BL5 2EB.

Really characterful little ground with a great playing surface - but don't try to park anywhere near the ground. Cramped doesn't do it justice. Try and park on the estate roads away from the ground.

Nice little bar though and decent pies!

One pub en-route is the Masons Arms (junction of B5235 and A577) but no idea how good / bad this is.

Closest to the ground is the The Daisy Hill Hotel on 3 Lower Leigh Rd, Westhoughton. Report in April '11 that it had 3 Thwaites cask ales (Nutty Black, Wainwrights and Thwaites Original)

Alternatively head into town for the local (Good Beer Guide Listed) Wetherspoons 'The Robert Shaw' http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/pubs/the-robert-shaw

Basement - does it matter?

This is the level we are playing at. Get used to it.

Not a very helpful comment.

We are all individuals, bound by our support for the same club. As such, we all have our own individual ideas about what is important to us.

Can you imagine if fans turned up to a game only to be told that there was no beer, because it had already sold out. Personally,i would not be bothered, but, it would be important to some people, and they would be bothered.

Further, do you think that these people would appreciate it being suggested to them that it doesn't matter, and being told to get used to it as it is the level that the club are playing at. Somehow, i very much doubt it.

It is all about respect for each other and each others opinions. Sadly, it would appear to be lacking in this case.

But then, what do i know.

Two things I wanted to take away from last nights match, 3 points and the very first away match propramme. Got 1 point which I can be pleased with but no programme. I can accept that they may have sold out but I get the feeling that non were printed.

There were programmes printed, but they ran out very quickly as this league has not seen a following such as ours for sometime. I think this will be the norm going forward as every club usually only prints what they think they will sell, due to funding. I would sugest that our secretary to contact other secretarys in our league to ask them to print more on our visit to there ground as our away support is likely tobe 100/150 fans at the game.

There were programmes printed, but they ran out very quickly as this league has not seen a following such as ours for sometime. I think this will be the norm going forward as every club usually only prints what they think they will sell, due to funding. I would sugest that our secretary to contact other secretarys in our league to ask them to print more on our visit to there ground as our away support is likely tobe 100/150 fans at the game.

In all likelihood their programmes would have been printed before Saturday meaning they wouldn't have had a clue how many would travel (and neither would we!)

Spoke to a irlam gentleman before game and he said they normally ony print 15 or so and dont sometimes sell them all so going be hard with us being new team how many fans for them to expect to turn up.

I expect that hosts will also have the same problem/dilemma when sorting out catering arrangements too. With tight budgets for most, it may be a difficult call for a number of clubs to make, ensuring they have enough stock while not getting caught out over ordering. It's going to be a learning curve all round I guess.

Ba
But can they attract more than 30 of their own fans, and more to the point will they have any programmes for sale, or will it be the same as tonight.
basement, you have to realise on sat we nearly trebled the best attendance in the premier div let alone the first and a away following of 150 plus is somewhat rare at this level.
The smaller followed clubs such as Irlam who's ave attendance last year was 45 can't afford wasteful expenditure.
I suggest in future you take your own provisions with you, and if you really need a programme get there very early....or...just stop moaning and be grateful you have a team to follow and enjoy the ride!!
Hows that for useful advice??

Ba

basement, you have to realise on sat we nearly trebled the best attendance in the premier div let alone the first and a away following of 150 plus is somewhat rare at this level.
The smaller followed clubs such as Irlam who's ave attendance last year was 45 can't afford wasteful expenditure.
I suggest in future you take your own provisions with you, and if you really need a programme get there very early....or...just stop moaning and be grateful you have a team to follow and enjoy the ride!!

Agree, we have support that is not seen in this league I am told, just have to go with the flow as they say. Progress in this league is what matters currently hopefully. Took my Grandson to the game who told his Dad, not with us, that "Iran" were a dirty team !!. Its a "cracker" !!.

I'm for one is really looking forward to this fixture and has been since the fixture list has been announced. Mainly because of the name haha but with daisy Hill winning their opening two games I think it will be a good test for our lads.

In all likelihood their programmes would have been printed before Saturday meaning they wouldn't have had a clue how many would travel (and neither would we!)

Fair comment. They could have printed 50 and it still wouldn't have been enough, but it would have been better than the 15 (or whatever the figure was) that they did print. I appreciate that it is early days, and hopefully this will be addressed in the future, however even 1874 must have expected more than 15 or 20 fans to travel.

Ba

I appreciate that there are many small clubs in this league who have to watch their expenditure, however 15-20 programmes is a very low number. My point was, that hopefully this will improve in the future.

In respect of raising legitimate issues, well i am just moaning am i. Great respect for a fellow fan. But don't worry, perhaps in future i will not bother commenting or raising issues or making suggestions as obviously i am just moaning.

I trust that you think that everyone else who posts on this forum, is just moaning as well.

In respect of raising legitimate issues, well i am just moaning am i. Great respect for a fellow fan. But don't worry, perhaps in future i will not bother commenting or raising issues or making suggestions as obviously i am just moaning.
Sounding a little bit drama queen there!!
If you wish to gain respect perhaps you need to first give some particularly to the clubs at this level trying to do the best they can!

It's early days, both for the team and the fans. Last night's support was incredible and I would hope that there will be the same numbers again on Saturday. I am in touch with Daisy Hill's Secretary and I will advise him that we feel very privileged to have such a good following and that should they wish to print a few more programmes etc then it's fair to say that they will be snapped up. However it is their call.

What I also liked about last night, was that our brilliant following showed respect to their hosts and we didn't come over as 'the big boys'. We are a young club that needs to find its feet and therefore just because we are well supported, we all understand that it's about stability and that we do not have a divine right to be promoted.

Boy, how good is it to talk football hey?!!!!!!

What was that celebration all about when they equalised? Must have run about 100 yards to jump into his managers arms. The Olham guy on Saturdat wasn't much differant. Young club we may be but the oppositions still think we are a big fish to catch

Fair comment. They could have printed 50 and it still wouldn't have been enough, but it would have been better than the 15 (or whatever the figure was) that they did print. I appreciate that it is early days, and hopefully this will be addressed in the future, however even 1874 must have expected more than 15 or 20 fans to travel.

If they'd have done their homework, they could have made a lot more money on the night. I'd have been quite happy to pay £1 for parking because at this level every penny helps and we all need to support each other

Back