• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

‘74 v Kendal

Andy

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jul 28, 2013
Hopefully can secure our first points at home at step 4.

No idea what the expect from Kendal, that’s one of the exciting things about this season, playing many teams for the first time.

Reactions: Ben
Agreed Andy lets hope for a good win and a 300+ gate.
See you all tomorrow.

Yes fingers crossed for a win and 300+ gate. As for Linnets away, I’d be happy with a draw. Four points from six wouldn’t be bad at all!

Another win & a positive goal difference.

Comfortable win, and think it would have been regardless of the red card.

Yes, a very comfortable win and I agree that it would have been regardless of the red card.

Kendal were a poor side and I suspect they’ll be struggling but a good performance, especially in the first half. A few goals as well to boost the goal difference and make up for those we should have scored at Market Drayton.

Three wins on the bounce and a solid start to the season. I would have taken 7 points from 4 and 7th place at the start of the season and in a higher league. Onto Linnets we go on Monday for what should be a cracking derby game and a bumper crowd. Up the 74!

Good performance today and did what we needed to but disappointed to only get 240, was hoping for nearly 300 but so far away support is really poor.
See you all Monday.

Good performance today and did what we needed to but disappointed to only get 240, was hoping for nearly 300 but so far away support is really poor.
See you all Monday.

I was hoping for a 300 gate, but suppose a it’s a sunny bank holiday with a lot of events on in the local area..

See you all Monday.
Good performance? I thought that it was pretty mediocre.

We played against 10 men for 86 minutes, the sub keeper -
who stood all of 5’6” - was at fault for two and we had one real shot in the second half from which Scotty scored. Passing was sluggish, but not helped by a pitch that was far bumpier than it seemed.

Fully understand that we’ve got a big game on Monday so when we went on 3 up at half time the game was won and there was no need for the player to bust their guts, but TBF to Kendal I thought that they had a greater attacking intent in the last 20 than we did.

But would I have been delighted with 7 points from our first 4 games? Absolutely ??

Excellent result today in a game we needed to win even at this early stage of the season. The games are coming thick and fast at the moment and it’s so important we get points on the board early and more importantly against teams we have to finish above to avoid any relegation fears. Thought we became more complacent as the game wore on and other than Lee knights effort on to the post didn’t really look like adding to our tally in the second half. That said we have another big week ahead so good to ease to victory.
Similar to the Kidsgrove game I didn’t see any visiting fans there today but it was nice to see plenty of youngsters at the game who I guess aren’t included in the gate which looked near 300 again. Next up at townfield are Leek and Marine.. let’s hope we can get nearer 400…COYG

Good performance? I thought that it was pretty mediocre.

We played against 10 men for 86 minutes, the sub keeper -
who stood all of 5’6” - was at fault for two and we had one real shot in the second half from which Scotty scored. Passing was sluggish, but not helped by a pitch that was far bumpier than it seemed.

Fully understand that we’ve got a big game on Monday so when we went on 3 up at half time the game was won and there was no need for the player to bust their guts, but TBF to Kendal I thought that they had a greater attacking intent in the last 20 than we did.

But would I have been delighted with 7 points from our first 4 games? Absolutely ??

- First home win in a new league
- An easy win, controlled the game, no doubt with Monday in mind.
- Personally, I’m glad with the game won, the team carried on playing proper football, fine tuning moves, rather than hacking shots from anywhere at their right back goal keeper.

- First home win in a new league
- An easy win, controlled the game, no doubt with Monday in mind.
- Personally, I’m glad with the game won, the team carried on playing proper football, fine tuning moves, rather than hacking shots from anywhere at their right back goal keeper.
“Hacking shots from anywhere”.

Hacking shots from somewhere would have been nice.

“fine tuning moves”

Ah, I assume you mean getting the ball wide and then at almost every occasion going back inside to play the easy ball - against 10 men with one of Ken Dodd’s Diddymen between the sticks?

Ramsbottom smacked 7 past MD today. That is a statement of intent. We had the chance to do likewise today. A better opportunity will not come our way this season.

So why we we so timid?

I’ve said that I get we’ve got a huge game on Monday and we need to conserve energy for this game, but surely we ought to have had more drive and ambition than we demonstrated in the second 45?

Winning 4-1 with such ease is a good day, in my opinion.

Sure there were the odd mistake, but it’s the start of a new season after having pretty much 18 months off. Cut them some slack, I say.

I'm with James on this one. Yes we won 4-1 but Tony made at least 3 decent saves in the second half and their right back goalie let 2 goals through him. I was disappointed with the number of times we turned the ball back instead of going forwards, and peppering their stand in with shots from distance was clearly a good idea. Lastly, that work from Lee deserved better than coming back off the post.

A view from an otherwise exiled southerner ...
The sending off spoilt the game (as referee Gene Wilder himself admitted in an aside to the crowd) but the ref had no option. Just don't really understand why one of their smallest players got the sub GK job. After that the result was a bit of a foregone conclusion - a proper GK would probably have saved goals 2 and 3, but it was a bit disappointing that we didn't test him more, particularly in the 2nd half, where they had more efforts on target than we did. I appreciate it's hard against a massed defence, but after lots of going sideways to try to get round them, anything put into the box was comfortably dealt with, and I can't recall a single occasion when 74 won an aerial ball.
But with what will undoubtably be a much harder game on Monday I suppose we can be excused coasting a bit in that 2nd half.

Naturally very pleased with the result and that we have 7 pts after 4 games. However get the feeling that other than Clitheroe we have played 3 poorish teams so far. Yesterday’s game ruined by the very early sending off and the poor replacement in goal.
Thought we were ok in first half but second half far too negative though another great goal by Scottie. No idea why we didn’t test their goalie more. Kendal deserved their goal and could have scored more but for Tony in goal.
Next few weeks will be a bigger test and should give better indication of how we are going to cope at this higher level.
Also the pitch looked fine to me especially since Barnton had just played on it night before.

Naturally very pleased with the result and that we have 7 pts after 4 games. However get the feeling that other than Clitheroe we have played 3 poorish teams so far. Yesterday’s game ruined by the very early sending off and the poor replacement in goal.
Thought we were ok in first half but second half far too negative though another great goal by Scottie. No idea why we didn’t test their goalie more. Kendal deserved their goal and could have scored more but for Tony in goal.
Next few weeks will be a bigger test and should give better indication of how we are going to cope at this higher level.
Also the pitch looked fine to me especially since Barnton had just played on it night before.
I wouldn’t class Kidsgrove as a poor side. I think them and Clitheroe will be comfortably top 8 and chasing promotion. We have beaten the sides we need to finish above which is job well done I think.

Back