• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

A Mystery!

James Wood

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jun 1, 2017
I was made aware of this by a friend of mine. All a bit odd as
according to ATFAS Everton played Vics at TDF on April 9 1889 and lost 7-1. The attached fixture list appears to say that they then played a club called ‘Nortwich Albion’ at home on May 30. Is this just a typo? But even if it is, I’m not aware of a club named Northwich Albion ever having existed.

Witton claim that they were formed in 1887, but even if they were (and most agree that 1891 is the more likely year), with all due respect I don’t think that they would have been playing clubs of Everton’s calibre!

Again, according to ATFAS Vics’ first record of playing Albion is as late as 1895.

A side called ‘Witton’ did exist in 1890 as they competed in ‘The Combination’ alongside Vics, but they didn’t complete the season. (FYI Witton is an area in Blackburn - the park which is named after it is very nice indeed 😀 - but there is also a place called Witton close to Aston Villa’s ground)

Attachments

• 13652260-2F5C-4790-95CC-9E0D3427DAC9.jpeg
    13652260-2F5C-4790-95CC-9E0D3427DAC9.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 14
Here’s a list of Everton friendlies at that time

It looks like May should be March as the Bootle & South Shore dates fit, but they didn’t play anyone on the 30th

It looks like a newspaper error

Here’s a list of Everton friendlies at that time

It looks like May should be March as the Bootle & South Shore dates fit, but they didn’t play anyone on the 30th

It looks like a newspaper error
Agree with the typo.

Easy way to check is the days of the week. If they were May then they would be playing Thursday games instead of Saturday.

1709031552565.png

Back